Should I Get A Mixer??

So you're basically saying that once I buy an "ok" quality products I should stick to that because it'd be a waste of money if they aren't in the same level quality wise. So, if im upgrading, i better upgrade everything basically. does it make sense?

What do you mean by monitoring?

Seriously? and you think you need/want a mixer?

You should spend time learning with what you have rather than thinking about sending a load of cash on Somethink you really don't need. Save the money for that you do need :thumbs up:

The reason I asked that is because everytime I hear the word monitoring/monitor, all I think of is mixing/mastering using a good studio monitors (I know its stupid). I didn't go to school to learn to record. Im learnjng by myself. Maybe if you tell me what it means then I maybe knows what it is.

Monitoring just means listening.

Your monitoring chain is everything from the medium out. Converters, cables, amps, speakers, room, ears etc.

As Steen says above.

Hey man, we're all learning, all the time. I myself still have a very cheap set up with regards to recording. Learning to get the best out of the tools at hand will help you a lot more than buying some tools you barely need.

There's a wealth of information to learn on the internet and on this very site. Your time and energy would better spent learning with what you have than worrying about other gear. That's my opinion anyway.

You don't need expensive equipment to get a great sound. All the gear in the world won't help you learn. You cannot polish a turd!

Happy learning :thumbs up:

It may not be exactly what you want to hear and I know that it is frustrating when we think we are not getting our questions answered but please take it from someone that came from exactly where you are right now.

I had to learn live sound quick and had nobody to teach it. I hit the web and read and read and asked some questions that did not have enough information in them to be answered. I then hit the books. I am low income so I hit the Library and when all they has was old books and I had gone through them I hit the college libraries in the area and read the new books. All the time playing with the system in the off hours putting what I read to work. 36 books later and 2 years of playing and I am still a noob. However a noob that can get stuff done but maybe not in the best manner.

Use the equipment you have, read play and most importantly have fun with it. You will get there and when you do you will come back to this post and say what was I dong.

Hope I didn't ruffle feathers because I remeber exactly what it was like to be where I think you are today.

Oh P.S.

Mr. Clean you can polish a turd see this:

LINK

aparently I can not post URLs yet LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you guys so much! I really appreciate all your help. It totally gave me a different view in recording. Thank you!

Hi Dav3Danc15, You have received some very good advice. I have a Profire 2626 and I also have the ART M-Four Mic (as well as a few other microphones). Do not underestimate how good these items are and the quality of recording you can accomplish when you learn how to use them. When I started out, I like yourself, thought that I should have a mixer and maybe a keyboard controller. Fortunately I had my brother to talk to, who has much more experience with recording. I listened to him and resisted the desire to buy stuff that I thought I needed and would make my home studio look more impressive. Instead I got down to just using what I had and start recording. I have recorded both of my son's bands quite a number of time now, and the more experience I gain using the Profire 2626 and trying different things like learning about mic placement and so on, the better the quality of the recordings. I am quite impressed with the results that I am now getting. I have been using this setup for almost 3 years now and it has been a gradual learning experience. You get out what you put in, meaning the more time and effort you put into actually using the equipment and researching as you go along, the better the results. My oldest son has recorded in a few professional studios, but after listening to the last recording I did of his brother's band, he was quite impressed and is looking forward to doing some of his next project right here in our modest home studio. If you were going to spend any money at all, I would recommend picking up a couple more microphones, and you don't have to break the bank. A Shure SM57 is probably a studio standard mic that has a multitude of uses and is only about a hundred bucks. By the way, that Profire 2626 has 8 built-in Octane mic pre's and they sound pretty good. So start making music and enjoy my friend!

Thank you for your information and suggestion. Because of this thread, I didn't buy any new stuffs. I just used what I have and now I finished a song which for me is a big jump in terms of recording (and I quite like it). I just had to read and watch videos on how to do recording properly.

Back