Should I get a condenser?

rockabilly

...Hey guys. So im trying to get a better recorded vocal sound. Right now I use a sm 58. (I also have a 57, but never have used it for vocals). Ive been reading some books as well as this forum (as i am still kinda new in the gear area) and the general consesus for vocal recording is to get a condenser.

Two questions:

#1 If im recording in my bedroom, will a condenser be a waste of money considering the room is not sound treated studio, or will I still get better vocal recording than what im using?

#2 The book lists some mics like the SP B1, MXL 990, Octava MK319, AT3035.
Ive read through the forum and cant decide because everyone has such various opinions. So, I really dont want to spend more than $100 ( i just bought some good monitors and am about to buy a Gretsch Setzer Hot Rod)...but I think if i had to , i can stretch it to $150.

Which mic would you guys recommend in this price range for rockabilly/rock n roll/jazzy vocals?

Thank so much. You guys have helped me enormously. I dont even think I would of started recording if it wasnt for this board.

Well assuming you have a pre amp with phantom power, I think your absolutely right in the assumption that a condenser would perform great on vocals. I definatly think you will love the results despite the lack of room treatment.

All the mics you listed are pretty great. If you decided to stretch to $150, definatly consider a SP C1, they are interesting in a wild way.

Yup, condensers are wonderful for capturing a vocal performance. Preamp and room treatment are also essential.
Preamp can be had pretty cheap (Rane MS1b, Studio Projects, Audio Buddy, Etc... do a search) and Harvey just did a blurb on room treatment where you construct a portable screen with a "V" made of pvc pipe and moving blanketdraped over it. Place the mic against the blanket (4-6 " I guess) and sing away. This will inhibit room noise.
However, I've had some great results in bathrooms with natural reverb and other rooms with high ceilings so while isolation is nice for a clean signal (adding effects later in the process) some rooms can be really fun to work with.

I have a Studio Projects B1 and an AT3035. I also used to own the MXL 990. I have never owned or used the Oktava that you mentioned. Of the 3 that I am familiar with, I would choose the B1. As far as room treatment, Harvy definatly knows what he is talking about, but I havnt read what Big Kenny is talking about. In the past I have used metal binder clips, that you can pick up at any office supply store, Clipped them to the corners of a blanket, and hang them from hooks that I have screwed into my cieling. Its not ideal...but it works for me.

i dont know...never used one...but if you dont want it, get it and sell it to me...if its in good condition, you can make some $$$ on it...

Yeah, for $40 bucks get the Octava.

Otherwise the SP C1 (not B1).

If you dont want the Oktava, I'll give you ten bucks more than whatever thajeremy will give you...... LOL!! (only half kidding.......I'd offer the bro in law $50 bucks for the darn thing. It's worth it.)

soundchaser59 said:
Yeah, for $40 bucks get the Octava.

Otherwise the SP C1 (not B1).

If you dont want the Oktava, I'll give you ten bucks more than whatever thajeremy will give you...... LOL!! (only half kidding.......I'd offer the bro in law $50 bucks for the darn thing. It's worth it.)
in that case...ill give you $1500 for the oktava....:p

and some neg rep for soundchaser...:)

So I tried out the Oktava 319 on some pre recorded music i had. WOW. The vocals really shined through. Compared to a sm58, the Oktava condenser cleaned house! I could finally hear my vibrato! Plus it sounded like my voice had more emotion. One more step complete in decent recording.

thajeremy said:
in that case...ill give you $1500 for the oktava....:p

and some neg rep for soundchaser...:)

"studio projects sucks you idiot"

That's the reputation comment I got from thajeremy!

Appreciate the hostility......

As if Harmony Central doesn't have enough of that to go around for all the forums combined.......

Last edited:
Back