Should I get a compression pedal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elenore19

Slowing becoming un-noob.
Thoughts?
Right now I use the following pedals through a Twin Reverb.
Homemade SBB (boost) --> Modded Boss OD-2 (overdrive) --> Shiva (boutique fuzz) --> Boss ds-2 (distortion)

So would a compressor fit in there somewhere?

Shit, meant to add poll. Oh well.

Thoughts?
Homemade SBB (boost) --> Modded Boss OD-2 (overdrive) --> Shiva (boutique fuzz) --> Boss ds-2 (distortion)

How are you looking to use the compressor pedal? Always on, for leads, as another boost, for the sustain (always on or just for leads?)?

No I don't think that a compressor is required. The pedals that you have should be more than adequate to eliminate all of the amp's natural tone and dynamics.

How are you looking to use the compressor pedal? Always on, for leads, as another boost, for the sustain (always on or just for leads?)?
Not really sure. Mostly when I play clean I figure is when it'd be best. I'd mess around of course, I really don't know anything about compressors, just that people have suggested them to me a couple times.
No I don't think that a compressor is required. The pedals that you have should be more than adequate to eliminate all of the amp's natural tone and dynamics.
Thanks for that. I never have all pedals on at once. And I'd say I play completely clean through the amp (with my boost pedal about half way...more low end) about 40 percent of the time. I figure the compressor could come in handy that 40 percent of the time.

But yes. Great input.

So you don't know anything about compressors but you figure that it could be handy 40 percent of the time. I can't argue with that logic.
I'll go with a yes.
I didn't mean to start a little feud and what not. I mean, you're totally right that my logic really doesn't make much sense. Along with the "40%" I'm sure it could come in handy for recording and also just for added fun.
But then again, I don't know much about compressors..as I have said.
I know they can help with sustain, and that they can make cleans sparkle (as I've heard in demo-videos), and I was curious what everyone/anyone on these forums thought.

Why not give it a try? It is just another tool in the toolbox. Compression is just the ticket for certain applications (IE when lots of sustain is desired). I have the Dan Electro--it is very low cost and works fine.

I'll go with a yes.
I didn't mean to start a little feud and what not. I mean, you're totally right that my logic really doesn't make much sense. Along with the "40%" I'm sure it could come in handy for recording and also just for added fun.
But then again, I don't know much about compressors..as I have said.
I know they can help with sustain, and that they can make cleans sparkle (as I've heard in demo-videos), and I was curious what everyone/anyone on these forums thought.

No feud intended. If you do a little research and understand how a compressor works I think that you will realize what I was saying about the dynamics.

Thoughts?

I really can't say; it's just another tool. Unfortunately, the only way you'll know for sure if a compressor works for you is to get one and try it for a while.

So you don't know anything about compressors but you figure that it could be handy 40 percent of the time. I can't argue with that logic.

That's why this is the "home recording" forum..... if that logic shows up on The Gear Page then I would say you have a legitimate critique. For many people here, posting this kind of question on the Home Recording forum constitutes "doing research" especially if they avoid other forums because of the ridicule us experienced users dish out so easily.

Or maybe I missed your point and you actually hang out here because you enjoy belittling the home enthusiasts whom we already expect to have that kind of logic. In that case, dont let me interrupt your entertainment.

My first thought was, what don't you like about your tone? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Then again, it never hurts to learn, and some of us learn best by experimentation. Get a used one, screw around with it to your heart's content. If you decide against it, you can probably sell it with little to no money lost.

It's your tone, man, make it what you want, how you want.

Why not give it a try? It is just another tool in the toolbox. Compression is just the ticket for certain applications (IE when lots of sustain is desired). I have the Dan Electro--it is very low cost and works fine.

Yes, you can try it. I think you'll find that a compressor will not do you much good with the distortion turned on, but you are right in thinking it is best used when playing clean. Overdrive and distortion are loosely considered to be forms of compression by definition anyway, so compressor + distortion is redundant in a tone-killing kind of way.

Keep in mind if you try a compressor, that there are really bad compressors and really good compressors and several in between......and the good ones are really good and they aint cheap. If you are on a budget and you know how to solder then consider getting a used CS3 and installing a Monte Allums mod kit on it. Usually the best you will get for under $100 bucks. Or contact CMATMODS and ask him if he will install the Allums kit for you. He's reasonable and he's really good.....and if you like the modded CS3, then you'll like CMATMODS compressors even better!

Thanks for everyone's input. It's appreciated as always.
On hindsight I realize that it was a ridiculous question, and it's definitely an easy thing to research myself without bothering you folks.

So I have ordered a compressor, and I'll see what I think...and I'll close this thread.

Thanks again,
-Elliot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back