Should I change platform?

Resoman

I've "dabbled" in recording for the past several years, using a TASCAM 2488 MKII desktop recorder. While the quality of my recordings is acceptable, I get very frustrated with using the 2488 and am considering switching to a computer based DAW. I"m sure there are potentially plenty of frustrations involved in any computer based operation, but I'm hoping that by using a proven piece of software with a large monitor (instead of the 3" one I deal with on the TASCAM), I'll experience less frustration and more productivity.

I'm an acoustic musician and my primary need is for recording demos with small acoustic string bands. I've got a decent collection of microphones, ART Dual Levelar and Dual MP, and a DBX graphic EQ. Perhaps most important, I've got a great room to record in (in my opinion) and I really want to take advantage of my situation.

I'm due to upgrade my computer this year, which would free up my five year old 28" iMac, which is maxed out with 6GB RAM. Is this machine a good candidate for my recording application, assuming I remove all existing software and dedicate it to recording use?

I know that I would need a lot of "stuff", like a proper sound card, more preamps (I assume, since I only have two right now) and, of course, the software, whatever it would be. So, I'm prepared to invest some money in this venture.

I realize that another option is to consider the newer TASCAM portastudios, which are certainly affordable and appear to be somewhat more user-friendly, and they use SC cards for storage, which would be a real plus.

If any forum members have thoughts on my situation, I'd very much appreciate hearing them!

Thanks,

Gary,

Iowa City

How many tracks do you envision per song? Processor speed is the key item for computers. 6G of RAM will do fine.
Most audio interfaces (above the bare bones starter ones) have decent preamps, so don't go buying any more preamps at this point.

Besides the small screen on the 2488, don't expect a huge up-grade in sound quality going into your computer. The TASCAM is 24 bit and there's no reason you can't make professional recordings with it. Granted, with a PC, you'll be able to use many more effects for free and it does have it's advantages, but don't expect it to improve your sound that much.

I'm not trying to discourage you from recording into a computer. Just make sure it's really worth it because, like I said, it's not going to change your world that much.

Besides the small screen on the 2488, don't expect a huge up-grade in sound quality going into your computer. The TASCAM is 24 bit and there's no reason you can't make professional recordings with it. Granted, with a PC, you'll be able to use many more effects for free and it does have it's advantages, but don't expect it to improve your sound that much.

I'm not trying to discourage you from recording into a computer. Just make sure it's really worth it because, like I said, it's not going to change your world that much.

When we say sound quality, we are saying sound capture, and that that is true (unless you get a high end AD/A), but your mixes and outputs could be an improvement (depending on how good you get with mixing) as you will have more tools and options to create a better mix. I think that will make a difference on the end results.

I'm not expecting and significant improvement in sound quality, but hoping for a better user experience. I'm normally recording with a Dobro in my lap and picks on my fingers, and I get very frustrated with the tiny screen on the TASCAM. Just having the big display would be a major improvement, but I realize there are issues with a computer based DAW...

Gary

Just 8 tracks (plus maybe a few for busses?), your 5-year-old computer should have no issues. The biggest 'issue' with a DAW is the learning curve. That's one of the things I liked about Reaper - having basic recording knowledge from using a stand-alone, the learning curve was far less steep (after I read the 400 pages of the user manual, of course!)

When we say sound quality, we are saying sound capture, and that that is true (unless you get a high end AD/A), but your mixes and outputs could be an improvement (depending on how good you get with mixing) as you will have more tools and options to create a better mix. I think that will make a difference on the end results.
Yes. That's exactly what I said.

Reaper / PC. Just do it.

It changed my recording life and it will change yours too. And I held out against PC recording, using a 16 track multitrack all-in-one machine for years.

Both mixing and tracking become way, way, way, way easier when you have a big screen and a mouse... editing in particular on a standalone is a royal pain and a piece of cake using software.

Thank me later... :thumbs up::)

Just remember that your iMac probably has a spinning hard drive - and that creates a lot of noise. For the sensitive acoustic work I do, I went to all solid state drives which allows me an almost noiseless machine. If you decide to go the iMac route, and there is too much noise from the hard drive, you could pick up a SSD for relatively inexpensive now. I just purchased a 240 gig for $130 for my wife's macbook.

And a plus one on Reaper. Great, solid DAW.

You could use the Tascam for tracking and then load the tracks into the computer for mixing. This way you have all the bells and whistles of a DAW available, and the investment is zero.

You could use the Tascam for tracking and then load the tracks into the computer for mixing. This way you have all the bells and whistles of a DAW available, and the investment is zero.

That's a good idea, but he's still stuck with the small screen on the Tascam.

Back