Should I buy the Tascam 414 portastudio

WhitChocolate

I am just starting recording and I was wandering if this is a good 4 track to start out with. I don't know much about them so any info would be appreciated thanks.

Define your needs, homie.

Are you gonna record everything yourself? Do you want GREAT quality or just a sketchpad? Do you need great editing capabilities? What the hell are you doing???

Okay, the 414 is better than the Porta2 cause you can record on all 4 tracks at once, and it now comes with a built in DI and a Mic input. Plus it records at double speed meaning a cleaner recording.

But the 424 has 6 channels (still only 4-track), the option to record and normal or double speed, Auto Locater functions, etc.

It really depends on your needs though.

Well i am planning on realeasing a couple singles my self and then working my way up to better equipment. Right now I have a doctor groove 202 for my beats, and i am looking for a 4 that will do the job but will not cost to much but if all goes well i will eventually be able to buy better stuff. I am basically looking for a piece of equipment to start with. If you can hook me up with some info I would be gratefull.

Go to ebay,Type in "Tascam" in the search space,at any given time theres 100 to 200 or so 4 and 8 track recorders that you can bid on.porta studios,234,238 rackrecorders,reel to reels,ect.I buy most of my stuff on ebay

That's exactly what I did and have never regretted it. It teaches you alot about mixing/micing/directs/preamps/hookups/effects etc.etc. you get the picture. If you want a new one, go to www.musiciansfriend.com they are having a big home recording sell right now. The 414 has a lot of extras that won't cost you a left nard. Built in eq's, high speed recording, can go direct or sub-ins, can record live 4 tracks at once if need be. Plus, if you have been researching in this field, this is not a cheap hobby. The 414 is priced just right and the owners manual is user friendly and easily understood. I'll bet most of the people in here probably started with a 414 or 424.

Depends what you want to do with it. I bought mine a year ago as my incentive to start playing guitar again. I've been pretty happy with the sound I've gotten from it and think it's a great tool to learn on.

The only catch is that now I wish I spent more to get an 8-track unit. Now that I'm working on a CD of originals with a friend (not sure how we're getting from tape to CD yet, but we'll figure something out) I'd love to eliminate the need to bounce tracks.

Still, the price was right, it has some nice features (especially double speed and being able to record 4 tracks simultaneously), and it makes decent quality tapes. I think it was a good place to start. If I remember correctly the current model has 2 XLR inputs, which I don't have on mine.

[This message has been edited by DaveO (edited 02-22-2000).]

I got a 414 2 years ago and am happy with it. It is a great unit to start learning about all facets of do-it-yourself recording, as mentioned above. Although a simple machine in this price range is bound to have limitations, I find that it is usually MY limitations - in terms of how I record - that affects the quality of what eventually gets on tape.

The low price, combined with the features, sold me on the unit at the time. Every now and then I wish I had got a 424 instead, but if I had, I'd probably be wishing I'd got a digital unit with 8 tracks... and so on.

BEWARE OF GEAR LUST!!!!!!! It will suck you in like a black hole. As mentioned before, learn your limitations and abilities before jumping up to the next level.

Back