Should I bother to buy this mic/pre or not?

I think you've got a pretty good sound going. I would maybe pickup the RNP and see what you think. Then I would get a RNC compressor. Then I would concentrate on the room acoustics, yours weren't bad but better acoustics gives you more options for distant micing and more tonal possibilities.

If you want to get a hardware reverb it's hard to beat the TC Electronics M300 for the price.

Thanks Tex,

PS...sent you a PM.

I do have an RNC, but the funny thing is...I pretty much just bypass it...don't know what to do with it. I think my ears have a lot more hearing to do.

Room acoustics are something I'm pretty concerned about. I am trying to figure out the best place in the house to do things. I've got a great attic, but no climate control there yet. We are going to try to implement that at some point, so that in the summer it is somewhat bearable. Winter too. But, as far as the room itself, it's clearly the best sounding place I've got. I've just been using the living room for everything, but truth be told, I may want to move to my bedroom at this point to record the vocals. Don't know. As far as the piano stuff...I've really just been using my keyboard, though I have a piano. I have much mic testing to do before I'm ready to record anything on that piano, plus some pedal oiling and tuning issues to address, not to mention moving it to a different location within the room itself.

Ciao,
Kirstin

If the attic has a lot of weird angles then it is probably the best room. It's good to work in a room that is as non square as possible.

Turn all the knobs on the RNC to 12'oclock, push Really Nice mode and then turn down the Threshold as you sing. Get it to where the lights blink up to around -6 or -8. Then turn up the Level until you have a good signal into the soundcard. That should give you a good starting point.

What you should be listening for with compression is that it gives you a really smooth sound without lowering the volume. When it is dialed in you should be able to belt it out and sing normally without a big difference in the levels.

I forgot to mention you might think about getting a Ribbon mic. They really have a nice classic sound to them that no cheap condensor can touch. The best 'bang for buck' one I have found is the AEA R84 and it get's a lot of good reviews. There are a lot of Royers and Beyers on Ebay and they are nice also. http://www.mercenaryaudio.com/aearstmi.html

eee..u don't think 6 to 8 dbs of compression to tape is too much?

i personally try to get 2-4 db while tracking

ooh--very pretty...

thanks tex,

My attic does have lots of angles, and angled ceilings that meet in the middle. Not sure what one calls that--vaulted? Don't know. Not to mention that there is a large stairway that comes right up to it. And the floor is all wood, should I be trying to cover that, or use it as part of the room?
Now that mic is expensive for me...do you have any vocal samples of that or another ribbon in comparison to a condensor? Like mine or otherwise? I always wondered about them, but didn't really think they were so much for vocals, but then again, I really don't know why I thought that...maybe one person mentioned something like that, and I took it for face value.

I'll attempt your RNC suggestion tonight. If I'm not too tired after all this hard work I do (so hard I sit and chat with y'all on the net) Maybe I'll try it with your stuff...

this is fun, guys, thanks for all your help!
Kirstin

Hi teacher.

Okay, will follow this discussion now. Either way, I should probably start playing with the damn thing. Currently, I have a couple hundred dollar bypass box. Ha ha.

Kirstin

I have a T3 so I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I think the T3 is a great mic for female vocals. I listened to your 2 tracks at NWR and if you walked into my studio, the T3 would be one of the first mics I'd reach for to record you. I'd also put an RCA 77 DX up in front of you too. ;)

I don't think I'd use it as an instrument mic though, I mainly bought mine as a vocal mic.

It has a varible pick-up pattern, adjustable through its proprietary power supply, that can add to the possible applications for this mic. Kind of a handy thing to have.

I don't have an RNP, so I can't comment intelligently on it. I will say though, that I use a vintage Class A, very clean, very discrete mic pre to drive the T3. Mic choice is important, but with out a nice pre to drive it you're going to miss a lot of subtle influences from the mic.

Nice tracks.
When are you going to finish that second one?? :)

kgirl, here are two easy starting points for the RNC on vocals;

1) Set ratio at 1.75 to 1, gain reduction 4 dB's or less,
Supernice turned off.
This allows the vocal to "sit" in the track, good for ballads.
2) Set ratio at 4:1, Supernice turned on, gain reduction same as
above for initial tracking. Good setting for uptempo material.

Attack can be set at 3ms for "rock" type vocals, 5ms for melodic
material. Try .5 second as a starting point for "Release", and let
you ears guide you.

Inexpensive microphones that sound "like" a RCA 77DX include
the Electro-Voice EV RE15 and RE16 (has foam pop screen).
Even used by RCA Records in the 60's on vocal tracks with "their" ribbons sitting in the studio mike locker!

If you have a good natural room to record in, like that of a local
church, it'll outperform most any digital reverbs available BTW.

Chris

Hello guys,

Thanks so much for all your help everyone. I have learned quite a bit...

Michael, I'm working on that second one now, but seem to be on a bit of a break from sitting down long enough to do much for the last week or so...I fear I better get back to work quickly. I tend to go through little spurts.

Yes, I wish I could just hear the T3 more easily than ordering it online, listening, then sending back. Hassles, you gotta love em. I like things to happen right now. ;) But, I'll be thinking about it, definitely.

I may hold off on an outboard reverb for now, and play with what I have, but in the future, would like to start my outboard collection, for sure. Baby steps, I'm still learning.

Chris, thanks for the compressor setting info. For some reason, though I love being able to record things, and want it to sound decent, I'm shy of the technical just enough to not feel comfortable messing with it for long. I guess I'm still trying to understand exactly HOW it works before I feel confident with the controls. I kind of get it, but I'm no engineer, that's for sure. And, my own ears never felt terribly offended not using it up to this point. I would like to be able to hear what it does to me, however. So, now I will put all this to work.

This conversation has changed much in its breadth, while still managing to stay relative to the original topic. All was very useful for me. Thanks so much, and don't let me kill the thread by saying this...if you have anything else to say, please do! I'm learning things--love that. (And I probably will kill it...hanging my head in shame.):p

Kirstin

You e-mail www.pmiaudio.com for a free listening CD on the T3.
They can send both the "B" and "C" series to you.
I recall the T3 is on the "C" series CD.

The RNC does an excellent job of hardly changing your vocal sound when you use it in (some) moderation BTW.
Way better than any other budget compressors I know of.
(I like a Joe Meek compressor during mixdown though! :))

Chris

Back