Should I be surprised???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I strongly believe in the saying; "You get what you pay for."

If you bought a TASCAM narrower then professional industry standard track width and speed recorder, don't expect it to perform and honestly compete with the machines that did. If you do that, you're playin' yo' self and nobody else.

Yes, with dbx noise reduction, they will offer up competitive specs in adjacent channel crosstalk and better signal to noise specs because of the noise reduction process but, if you turned the dbx off, you would quickly discover you have exactly what you payed for and that is a semi-professional machine that will hiss like a fucker, overload easily because there's half the headroom on the tape and in the electronics which were built to fit a budget first and foremost and that's exactly why a brand new 16 track one inch TASCAM, (my machine) sold for 10 grand new and the real pro machines like Studer, MCI, Scully and Ampex were retailing for 10 times that much because they were built like tanks, not Toyota Corolas.

Is dbx noise reduction a perfect technology? No it is not. It's added steps of processing definitely take away from the detail and natural dynamics of the original performance but, for a given, less then state of the art budget, they are a really good shortcut to better overall numbers on the spec sheets. In short, their benefits outweigh their drawbacks.

Is it fair to call the TASCAMs crap? Absolutely not because they were never designed to be true piers to the other names I have mentioned. They were designed to be snapped up by home recordists and lower budget professional facilities that were doing demo projects and some lower budget audio sweetening work for video productions and nothing more. If you had the older magazines of the day from when they were new in the 80's you'd see it right in their ads that these were the clients they were pitching themselves to.

Real state of the art analog costs major bucks and you can't truly cut too many corners at the top end of that art and still realistically claim you own the best there is.

While Uli may not give those caveats before his diatribes on his site, there is some truth there if you peel away enough layers of bullshit and mis-information.

Cheers! :)

@Rick: Yeah, let`s forget the last 60 years of partnership between Germany and the USA. Fuck every try to overcome, the world`s much better off when we keep hostilities alive for generations to come.

P.S.: Boycotting products because they come from a certain country is pretty lame and in most cases racist. It`s a very simple approach to reduce boycott of a company/coorperation to their nationality. Would be smarter to actually check what their company policies are like and how far they are or have been involved in things that justify a boycott.

Grenouille said:
in most cases racist

You don't believe in freedom of thought? The right to believe what you want to believe? Think how you want to think?

Thats a slight problem with anti-racism. Its one thing to preach tolerance, but to tell someone they are wrong and not allowed to dislike based x, y, and z factors could end up being worse in the long run.

Is it fair to call the TASCAMs crap? Absolutely not because they were never designed to be true piers to the other names I have mentioned. They were designed to be snapped up by home recordists and lower budget professional facilities that were doing demo projects and some lower budget audio sweetening work for video productions and nothing more. If you had the older magazines of the day from when they were new in the 80's you'd see it right in their ads that these were the clients they were pitching themselves to.

That's EXACTLY right, Jeff. One can't lump TASCAM with high-end pro gear which costs lots more and targets a segment of the population which is very much removed from the typical home recordist. Uli doesn't make that distinction.

~Daniel

Outlaws said:
You don't believe in freedom of thought? The right to believe what you want to believe? Think how you want to think?

Thats a slight problem with anti-racism. Its one thing to preach tolerance, but to tell someone they are wrong and not allowed to dislike based x, y, and z factors could end up being worse in the long run.

No tolerance for intolerance. Racism is not an opinion but a crime.

Grenouille said:
No tolerance for intolerance.
And I have even less for threads like this one. :rolleyes:

I don't know what black cloud settled in, over this place but it's becoming really stupid in here the past few days with threads going way off topic.

We used to talk about the gear and and the art of recording in analog.

There is the Dragon Cave here, ya know, for those who insist on making asses of themselves.

Cheers! :)

@Rick: Yeah, let`s forget the last 60 years of partnership between Germany and the USA. Fuck every try to overcome, the world`s much better off when we keep hostilities alive for generations to come.
I'ts very obvious you've never had a rifle barrel pointed at your head. Or been a victim of a serious crime. Partnership? Bullshit. The only partnership is in political and corporate minds for profit. Ask ANY veteran if they would like to go into business with a former enemy soldier. Ha! Or ask the survivers of Aushwitz if they would like to forget the war crimes. Fuck, you've got your head up your ass.
I have nothing against the people of these nations. And I never suggested a boycott. What I DID suggest, is some people STILL remember what the fuck they went through, and what these NATIONS as a people tried to do to them. And to suggest that they should forgive and forget....like I said, untill you've had someone try to kill you, you haven't got a fucking clue. AND, I'll add one MORE FUCKING THING. I'm Irish. To this day, I dispise the English Monarchy. They tried to commit genocide on the Irish people, among MANY other English colonialism attrocities. My great grandfather was starved to death via the potato famone that the British government created. My grandfather barely made it out of Ireland alive.
http://www.american.edu/TED/potato.htm

He NEVER forgot. He NEVER let his family forget either. I don't forget. You think in this day and age attrocities won't happen again? Think again. It is BECAUSE of forgetting, and closing your eyes to what has happened in the past, that allows corporations to exploit dictators, governments, politicians in other parts of the world to do their bidding at the expense of peoples lives. Not if I have anything to do with it. Remembering, and telling is what I do in that regard. So take a look at this if you don't think George Bush is another cesspool cockroach. The people and soldiers dieing in Iraq is simply the result of political and corporate greed. PERIOD. History will tell the truth.
http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomf....globalpolicy.org/security/oil/2002/08jim.htm
fitZ

Last edited:
rick, you`re retarded.. just stop trolling this topic and get yrself castrated or something.. will make you live longer and calmer.

Grenouille said:
Do you have a problem with gays?

Are you gonna put me in a concentration camp full of rednecks and clansmen if I do?

Where is your tolerance for others opinions? No tolerance for others intolerance means you are just as intolerant as who you claim to be intolerant.

So I ask you...

What gives you the right to call someone racist?

I will answer that for you. The same thing that gives you the right to be intolerant of those that are intolerant...freedom of beliefs.

Why should I tolerate gay-bashing?
This is a sick-minded interpretation of "tolerance".. to tolerate intolerance..

Oh well..

So, go on and tell me that racism, homophobia, antisemitism etc. is just "a different opinion" which I have to tolerate.

Grenouille said:
Why should I tolerate gay-bashing?
This is a sick-minded interpretation of "tolerance".. to tolerate intolerance..

Oh well..

So, go on and tell me that racism, homophobia, antisemitism etc. is just "a different opinion" which I have to tolerate.

Read number 1

"The capacity for or the practice of recognizing and respecting the beliefs or practices of others."

Well some people believe being gay is wrong. Its not for you to impose on them. No one said to lock up the gays.

You don't have the capcity to understand tolerance.

This isn't a perfect world and the only way you will get your way is to become what you hate. I assume you hate Hitler right? Get going, you ain't that far from it with the road you are traveling down.

Yeah but there's a difference between intolerence and acting on it.

Outlaws said:
I thought I smelt fruit.

15 yard penalty for taunting!

:rolleyes:

"Smelt" is a fish. "Smelled" is what you did with your nose.

Last edited:
I see. Well, then I guess you don`t hate Hitler and recognize and respect his beliefs in antisemitism and racism, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back