Should have done this years ago

legba235

Put down my first A/D tracks w/ cool edit pro & a borrowed SB 16. Thanks for all the previous advice. I could not believe how easy it was to do. I have recorded w/ analog multi-track machines for years but never attempted digital until now (he says while kicking himself in the ass). I know my setup is very sub par but I have a question. I miked an acoustic guitar, which I ran through a small PA head then into my card. The sound is all right but my pick clicking against the string when I strummed is pretty dominant, well more then I like anyway. Is there something I can do to prevent or fix this? Thanks again for all the help I am totally stoked now (Hmmm with all this power I could probably ditch my band).

Kevin

Try pointing the mic at roughly the 12th fret. Or where the neck meets the body, but pointing a bit away from where your pick hits the strings. You might be able to EQ some of it out, but you're better off using mic location to control what gets recorded. You'll have to experiment some, but now you have the tools to do that ;). Don't worry too much about the "sub-par" set-up. Use it until you can't stand the quality any more, or you can't live with it's limitations any longer. Depending on what mics and pre-amps you have, your sound might benefit a lot more from one of those items than a new sound-card. Get used to your particular set-up, and replace the bottlenecks as they start to get in your way.

P.S.: I reached the exact same conclusion, once I figured out enough to get everything to work.

[This message has been edited by pglewis (edited 06-16-2000).]

Back