Short video clip of my recent session

I am a drummer, and sure (pop commercially) the snare makes more sense being on beat. But you know what, that was a very interesting grove, it kept me counting to see if I could keep up. I personally love the placement, it is something outside of the box and it fits the song. Wow, if we only had more people who though a little differently and more people who could actually sing, there might be more cool music on the radio!!!!!!

If the people of LIVERPOOL aren't cultured enough for you, go back to Switzerland then.

jeez, it was a fucking joke, lighten up will ya? I apologise if i hurt your feelings mate :'(

I am a drummer, and sure (pop commercially) the snare makes more sense being on beat. But you know what, that was a very interesting grove, it kept me counting to see if I could keep up. I personally love the placement, it is something outside of the box and it fits the song. Wow, if we only had more people who though a little differently and more people who could actually sing, there might be more cool music on the radio!!!!!!

well thats what i like about it too. It's different, it makes a new groove and it just isn't the same standard pop groove. I mean, imagine if i nudge it on to the beat how amazingly boring the groove would be. There's also a lot of things that play of that anticipation feeling, particularly the bass line (listen careful to the breakdown).

Thanks for stopping by :)

That song could do well commercially, apart from the early snare hits.
Please get rid of them or nudge them forward a tad so they are on the beat.

The early snare kills the whole groove of the song.

Eck

agreed. great tune but that snare is coming in a tad early.

I'm not a drummer, and I'm not particularly "artsy." But c'mon guys, the timing on that snare sounds good.

Yes, it's before the beat (and yet the beat is still there) but it's consistent. It's not like the drummer's having a seizure on the snare.

As "straight on" rock 'n roll as I am, the drummer I most love to play with can make things come to life by first laying down a killer foundation, then by adding a layer that brings the rhythm to life.

It's called interest, and it makes some things more worth listening too than others...

Me too. Great groove, I think it makes the intro. Reminds me of Mice Parade in a way

I'm not a drummer, and I'm not particularly "artsy." But c'mon guys, the timing on that snare sounds good.

Yes, it's before the beat (and yet the beat is still there) but it's consistent. It's not like the drummer's having a seizure on the snare.

As "straight on" rock 'n roll as I am, the drummer I most love to play with can make things come to life by first laying down a killer foundation, then by adding a layer that brings the rhythm to life.

It's called interest, and it makes some things more worth listening too than others...

to each his own but, to me, it doesn't sound interesting (her voice does though), but rather irritating. I ask what's the point? it's just a hair early, that's all.

agreed. great tune but that snare is coming in a tad early.

Yeh, it's meant to be that way dude ;) It's a choice of taste..either ya like the pattern or ya don't :)

Me too. Great groove, I think it makes the intro. Reminds me of Mice Parade in a way

i was starting to think i was the only one who enjoyed innovative things!! Glad you two like what ya hear :)

thanks to all who listened and commented :)

to each his own but, to me, it doesn't sound interesting (her voice does though), but rather irritating. I ask what's the point? it's just a hair early, that's all.

What's the point? music has to have a point now?

Sorry you find it irritating :) Perhaps i should lay down a standard, boring groove for ya...just like the billion other songs out there...hey maybe we can all make music that sounds the same! Homogenous grooves, tomorrow's music today! HOORAY!!

just kidding :)

thanks for stopping by...

Guys....I know that snare is annoying or distracting some of you :) And i apologise if, rhythmically at least, its running circles around your sense of timing...

But i just thought, seeing how this thread is going, I'd remind you that this thread was posted in the "recording techniques" sub-forum, rather than the songwriting one!

Just a passing thought for ya'll..

thanks for stopping by :)

What's the point? music has to have a point now?

Sorry you find it irritating :) Perhaps i should lay down a standard, boring groove for ya...just like the billion other songs out there...hey maybe we can all make music that sounds the same! Homogenous grooves, tomorrow's music today! HOORAY!!

just kidding :)

thanks for stopping by...

you are right. it doesn't have to have a point. i retract. great video by the way. her voice is really nice too.

I love the tune, I spent all morning using the search function trying to remember some tidbit just so I could find the thread again just to listen to the song.

As primarily a bassist for many years, I can appreciate a good off-beat. It makes my job a little more interesting and a lot more fun.

Does this group have an album out already? Website? Myspace? I want more please.

I love the tune, I spent all morning using the search function trying to remember some tidbit just so I could find the thread again just to listen to the song.

As primarily a bassist for many years, I can appreciate a good off-beat. It makes my job a little more interesting and a lot more fun.

Does this group have an album out already? Website? Myspace? I want more please.

They have a myspace page: www.myspace.com/electricchurchfoundation

However I don't think the new stuff is up yet (i'm still mixing it), and their older stuff is a bit different..Their new EP should be ready in about 6-8 weeks :)

Cool vid, thanks for posting it. I agree the snare is a bit artsy for my taste, but art is always in the eye of the beholder. Left where it is I'd probably put a big wash on it, or follow it with a second hit, on the beat, either snare or maybe a single tambo hit. Anyway, it's their song. Nice job.

Thats a good idea, put loads of reverb with a long tail.
That could work nicely actually.
Well spotted.

A shaker with simple rhythm would really lift up parts of this song also, specially the heavier bit towards the end.

Eck

Yeh, it's meant to be that way dude ;) It's a choice of taste..either ya like the pattern or ya don't :)

i was starting to think i was the only one who enjoyed innovative things!! Glad you two like what ya hear :)

thanks to all who listened and commented :)
I woudlnt call an early snare hit innovative!!
Its not the norm in pop, but its certainly not innovative.
No distrepect to the band cuase I really like the song.

Eck

I woudlnt call an early snare hit innovative!!
Its not the norm in pop, but its certainly not innovative.
No distrepect to the band cuase I really like the song.

Eck

man you really have a vendetta against this snare hit dontcha eck :P Perhaps innovative was the wrong descriptor - perhaps "different" or "interesting" would've been better ;)

Either way - the hit is staying firmly where it is.

man you really have a vendetta against this snare hit dontcha eck :P Perhaps innovative was the wrong descriptor - perhaps "different" or "interesting" would've been better ;)

Either way - the hit is staying firmly where it is.

listen i tryed to tap a tempo to the intro and the snare is just off. it bothers me, i dont think it sounds innovative, i think it sounds sloppy. since when did being off time count as creativty.

But with that said i think its cool that you completly stand by your choice, it takes a big man to sit there and listen to an off time snare hit and not fix it!!!

Back