Short scale basses - anyone play one? Recommendations?

Sweet, more options is always good. Pricing is about the same as the Pawn Shop Mustang, so I'll still be holding off on either.

Fender have a new short scale bass on the market the Rascal or something simliar - three lipstick pikups so LOTS of tonal variation & a push pull selector to mix the pickup selection to 7 options.

That doesn't look like a shortscale...?

Looks to me like what I'd call a mid-scale, or medium scale.

Well, the second video says it's 30", which is what a Mustang is, so it's a short. The dudes in the videos must be kinda smallish guys.

Last edited:
Came close to pulling the trigger on the Rascal (36 month no interest financing offer). I have 2 more weeks to decide...

I would urge caution when considering the Pawn Shop Mustang. I owned a Mustang in the 70s and it played great and sounded very good, so I might be biased. The sound wasn't as good as some standard length basses of the day (P-bass, J-bass, Ric, Aria, Alembic), but for people who wanted a short scale it was pretty nice.

I traded that bass in during the 80s for something and recently picked up a PS Mustang just because - nostalgia. Even after an extensive setup to get it to play semi-reasonably, it is definitely a specialty bass for me in terms of sound. I've used it to record only 1 recent track where my producer wanted a really "dirty" bass sound and this fit the bill. If you are looking for a clean, tight, punchy and/or round sound, this isn't it. At least not in terms of the particular incarnation of the bass that I have. (Note that I own a dozen or more basses, half of which are Fenders of various sorts.)

I have not tried the Rascal, but lately, with Fender, I do have serious reservations in terms of some of the lower end basses and find that the quality of the neck/truss rod/frets can be quite questionable. I have sent several of their low end specialty basses back because, while cool/fun and even some with a nice sound, there were serious construction problems that I wasn't convinced could be rectified even though fender would pay for a professional setup. (The quality of their top-of-the-line basses has been consistently good of late - they still need a serious setup, but nothing crazy.)

Last edited:
I have not tried the Rascal, but lately, with Fender, I do have serious reservations in terms of some of the lower end basses and find that the quality of the neck/truss rod/frets can be quite questionable. I have sent several of their low end specialty basses back because, while cool/fun and even some with a nice sound, there were serious construction problems that I wasn't convinced could be rectified even though fender would pay for a professional setup. (The quality of their top-of-the-line basses has been consistently good of late - they still need a serious setup, but nothing crazy.)

Spot on! I ended up getting the Rascal, TWICE! The replacement had the same fret buzzing as the first one, although not as bad. There's definitely something going on here, hard to say if it's Sweetwater's setup of the instrument or an inherent issue as you suggest. Needless to say - I'm not trying for a third. $800 is a lot of money for me to spend on a hobby instrument.

https://vimeo.com/144973355

Here's the video from the first bass sent:

Last edited:
Have tried adjusting the setup to suit your playing...and then see how it is?
I wouldn't make any assumptions that the did a proper setup before shipping it.
I can't believe that an $800 guitar is going to have a poor enough build that it can't be set up right...but then, seeing the prices of upper-scale mass produced, run of the mill guitars now approaching $2k...maybe $800 doesn't get you much these days. :(

I wouldn't put a wrench to something out of the box with buzzing frets. Once I 'touch it I own it'.

That's fair enough...if you don't feel comfortable doing that stuff, then don't.

That said...there's not a single guitar in my stable that didn't get a full setup from me, out of the box.
I've never, ever once found a guitar to be set up the way I like it..and for the most part, few were ever setup well to begin with.
At the factories they run through a basic setup...and that's often going to change/shift by the time it gets to you, or not be the way you like it. It might even be OK at the store...and then during shipping, things go out.

Chances are...you are returning guitars that just need to be properly set up. IOW, there may be nothing wrong with them.
I know, the feeling is, you shouldn't have to touch a new guitar to make it play right...but that's just not always the case.

I haven't bought a guitar online/mail order in 20 years. I'm forced to special order this through Guitar Center so I can make sure it plays right before bringing it home. Everything I've ever purchased locally is fine, because it's been setup before being put on display.

For me the moral of the story is - buy local.

I did eventually get my return shipping label, zero other emails/explanations.

Regarding setting up instruments, I don't think it unreasonable that a guitar can hold a setup for 2-3 days on a trip [often not even packed as nice as this was in the gig bag/box/padding from Sweetwater]. I would expect as much or more abuse lugging equipment around to gigs and practices, as I have in years past. I wouldn't expect a setup every time I arrived at a location. I've had instruments not need adjusting for years, despite constant travel and playing environments. Sweetwater said they tested and even adjusted the setup on the second (replacement) bass. I find that hard to believe, or clearly this demonstrates the competency level is really low there. The other possibility/complication is that these basses are coming out of Fender's factory with truss rod/neck issues. Bottom line - expecting a brand new bass to play open string notes without buzzing is reasonable [both basses also buzzed at the first fret as well].

Last edited:
Sure...a setup can last....but I've seen guitars go out during shipping. The shippers don't handle boxes the way you handle your guitar in a case from gig to gig. The real point was that it may not be getting set up right before shipping.

...Sweetwater said they tested and even adjusted the setup on the second (replacement) bass. I find that hard to believe...

Exactly.

Not saying you didn't get two lemons in a row...but I certainly would have have checked the setups before returning them...that's what I'm saying. I mean, for me, it would be easier than returning it...but I don't have a problem with breaking out the wrench. It's certainly not something you want to do if you are not comfortable with it.

Good luck with #3.

Not saying you didn't get two lemons in a row...but I certainly would have have checked the setups before returning them...that's what I'm saying. I mean, for me, it would be easier than returning it...but I don't have a problem with breaking out the wrench. It's certainly not something you want to do if you are not comfortable with it.

The way I see it, it's like driving a new car off the lot and the steering wheel shakes. I would rather return the vehicle to the dealer than pay to take the car somewhere to have the alignment checked or jack the car up myself and start unscrewing wheels to visually inspect the tires for bulges, etc. Your posts are the first I've ever heard someone suggest that a new guitar should be setup by the buyer. It would seem that would be something the seller would do prior to selling it. And if shipping guitars has this big an impact on the setup and it's such a common thing, then I don't think it's wise to be selling guitars mail order/online in the first place.

The way I see it, it's like driving a new car off the lot and the steering wheel shakes. I would rather return the vehicle to the dealer than pay to take the car somewhere to have the alignment checked or jack the car up myself and start unscrewing wheels to visually inspect the tires for bulges, etc. Your posts are the first I've ever heard someone suggest that a new guitar should be setup by the buyer. It would seem that would be something the seller would do prior to selling it. And if shipping guitars has this big an impact on the setup and it's such a common thing, then I don't think it's wise to be selling guitars mail order/online in the first place.

Cars and guitars are not quite the same. :D
Wood has this tendency to react to environment...and to shipping. Try ordering a guitar online in the winter time and tell me it comes perfect to you from across the country. Same in the hot summer.
I've seen UPS/FedEx guys throw...THROW...packages on the truck. I've had my share of demolished audio gear at the hands of shippers. So I make no assumptions on the effect of shipping.
Not the same thing as you carrying your guitar to a gig.

Oh...every time I take my car in for service...they always put in some standard amount of air in the tires...within spec, but usually too much. I always end up checking it and adjusting them to how I like them to be. ;)

Also...how the heck will a seller know how YOU like a guitar set up?
Even if a guitar comes to me without any kind of "buzz"...and some MOR ballpark setup...I'm still going to do a set up out of the box to MY preferences.
Sure...I know lots of players are clueless about setting up their guitars...but I would think you would at least know what you like and don't like AFA neck relief and action...etc....so then you take it to your "guy" and have him set it up for you the way YOU like it. I mean...a quarter turn of the truss rod and a couple of mm in string height could be a night and day playing difference...and buzzing difference.

YMMV......

Look...I don't fault you for returning the guitars...I'm just saying that they might only have needed a minor setup adjustment to be right, and if it's something you don't want to do, then take it someone.
Since you brought up cars....a car may come from the dealer mechanically perfect, but you're still going to adjust the seats, the mirrors, etc....to fit your preferences and driving style.
You're not going to return the car because there's a blind spot due to the mirrors not being set up right. ;)

Look...I don't fault you for returning the guitars...I'm just saying that they might only have needed a minor setup adjustment to be right, and if it's something you don't want to do, then take it someone.
Since you brought up cars....a car may come from the dealer mechanically perfect, but you're still going to adjust the seats, the mirrors, etc....to fit your preferences and driving style.
You're not going to return the car because there's a blind spot due to the mirrors not being set up right. ;)

Adjusting a truss rod and tinkering with bridge heights, etc to correct open string fret buzz on a brand new instrument is hardly as innocent as adjusting the seat in a car.

The fact is, I got sent unplayable guitars. Minor adjustments shouldn't have to account for the kind of fail these guitar exhibited. The difference between defect and customization not being grasped here is that the open strings of an instrument should ring without buzzing, PERIOD. There's no "customization" required for open strings to play properly. The fact all the open strings buzzed to varying degrees is a telltale sign of a larger issue. No one in their right mind should touch a new instrument playing this fundamentally poor, and trying to 'fix' the issue only puts the buyer's prints all over the problem complicating any warranty work or return.

Your advice, IMO, is entirely inappropriate to the situation.

Last edited:
I can't believe that because you're upset about the guitars, and not knowing or wanting to adjust them yourself...
...you felt the need to neg rep me because I was simply telling you that it's possible all they needed was a proper set up to be playable. :facepalm: :D

Well...I guess after a year of searching for a short scale bass...and three tries to find one that you don't have to touch out of the box...you've lost your sense of humor.

The "customization" that could have maybe fixed the buzz is a simple truss rod adjustment...a little less tightening.

Keep returning them...whatever works for you. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
You got negative rep because you've been insistent on defending poor advice.

And yes, I do setup my own instruments. ~25 years of guitar playing/ownership.

My advice is spot on...
I've purchased at least 3 dozen guitars online, set up each one up to my preferences.
About a half dozen had buzzing and rattling out of the box...all were fixed with a simple truss rod and action adjustment.

You say you haven't purchased a guitar online in 20 years...yet you know all there is to know about what can or can't happen to a guitar when shipped.
You say you do your own setups...but are concerned about doing a simple truss rod adjustment that might have fixed your problem.

Seems to me you're defending your own position out of frustration.
I was trying to be helpful by suggesting you could check/adjust the action before going through the hassle of returning them.
I guess that's what you consider "poor advice"...but you set up your own guitars, right?

Maybe third time is the charm....

Back