Short Quiz: Experienced replies only needed :)

neadam

This one I encountered made me think on my feet a bit (because it was a timed test). But i'm also curious how everyone else would answer, preferably from experience, as opposed to "well, so and so says that this mike works best for...". Also, short, concise answers with short, concise explanations were the requirement for me, so the same for you:) Also, i'm not going to waste your time asking for answers to all questions, but only those instruments and within the financial limits imposed that you have personally encountered. Also, to avoid confusion, the $limits are independent for each instrument, i'm not saying $500 to mic all of these instruments at the same time. :)I'm also aware that some of the categories (i.e. full drum kit is how many pieces and cymbals?) are broad, but that is for you to fill in as you see fit. And finally, for the critics, yes, i have been reading this board for awhile, and have seen most of your recommendations, but thought that these answers in one concise post would be helpful, and well, if i had to do this test, i thought it would be good for all of us.:)

1) If someone with a very limited budget (say <$500) wanted to mic the following instruments, which would you recommend from experience and why? (very brief answers i.e. For bass drum- a D112 on the bass drum, because i prefer the additional bass provided, and don't have much need for high end "thwack" provided by others like like EV or Shure kick mics)

2) If someone had an unlimited budget (say >$3000) to spend for the same purposes, what are your recommendations and why?

Electric guitar-
Acoustic steel String-
Piano Upright-
Piano Grand-
Full Drum Kit-
Stringed instruments (violin, viola, etc.)-
Brass-
Male vocal-
Female vocal-

It depends...

Depends on what you say. Well when you are talking about an unlimited budget, little things make a big differance. By that i mean, one mic may suit one persons instrument, playing style, music type, and enviroment, but if any of those variables are changed the best mic may be somthing very different. Also with an unlimited budget you have room to be creative, you can try things with many mics in many ways to get a unique sound.

I don't mean to answer you question with a question, but with an unlimited budget, you could own a huge arsenal of mics, and try all of them for the best result. Of course people will tell you different Neuman, AKG, Royer, and Blue mics, but the most expencive isn't always the best. I don't think there's a professional recording studio that doesn't own at least one sm-57.

This site is also for homerecordists, not people at the top of the music industry, so not many of us have the freedom of an unlimited budget, so the answer for this question is more likly to be found in another BBS.

Keeping the post in circulation (i don't know how i found it)
omni...:)

Back