Short metal instrumental Erosion Code - The Rift

It is TOO DAMN LOUD. I almost jumped of my chair when the song kicked in. Although that is cool and probably intentional...you should not make it so loud when trying to master it.

Also, the guitars have a very simulated aspected, which I dont like. It sounds artificial.

But the mix is good, not bad at all.

This is really cool. great grooves. I really don't think it's too loud as long as your not clipping. I think the leads sound ok. What are you struggling with? Tone, placement, or volume?

I got startled at the beginning too. Wow - it jumps right in. :)

The guitars sound OK. They almost sound too perfect - playing-wise. If that's possible.

Lots of energy in the song, which I liked.

Balance sounded very good to me. So whatever struggles you had, I think you overcame them.

Thanks

Ya it was the leads.. I have them on 5 tracks because i have some panning automation going on. The rythme tracks pan center while the harmony tracks go wide ect. I think that trickery was making it really hard to get the parts to sound balanced.

The guitar parts... man.. Im not sure what to say about it. I tracked this song twice because I got some new gear.

I looped those rythmes sections over and over till I got many good takes and then placed them about. There may be some re-used takes on the second half of the song but I didnt think that would stand out. Maybe i tried too hard to get consistant takes.... but it got smushy sounding if I didnt have them absolutely nailed.

I did re-use a couple of the Lead takes.. Is that what you are hearing as too perfect?.. I probably should have had more takes to pool from there.

Nice guitar work man, I like the tone as well. It fits the piece. The lead lines get a little lost. Maybe some sweetening EQ between the lead and rhythm guitars could help the leads stand out a bit more. I mean, find an "important" frequency range on the lead guitars, boost them there by a couple dB, and cut the rhythm guitars by a couple dB at that same spot. Sometimes jacking with EQ causes more problems than it solves, but since you've got so many guitars going, they're all competing for the same set of frequencies. That's why I like to use a variety of guitars/amps on a song...they naturally end up having their own slice of the spectrum. But sometimes you find that "one" tone and end up using it on everything :)

The drums bug me a little...there's a reverb or something on the snare that isn't doing it any favors. I'm no connoisseur of drums in this genre so I'm not exactly sure what the ideal is. But they seem to be all clicks and clacks and not much beef, like they're all mid-scooped.

The "simulated" guitars don't make the track feel any lesser in quality to me, but they could be a negative.

This feels like some Periphery and around 1:35 and beyond it starts to feel like Born of Osiris for quite a bit.

In total, it's a good and clean track. Listening to it for the first time, my ears weren't accustomed for the loudness. However, it didn't have enough distortion. It just depends where you're headed IG.

Great post nonetheless!!

Thanks

Ya it was the leads.. I have them on 5 tracks because i have some panning automation going on. The rythme tracks pan center while the harmony tracks go wide ect. I think that trickery was making it really hard to get the parts to sound balanced.

The guitar parts... man.. Im not sure what to say about it. I tracked this song twice because I got some new gear.

I looped those rythmes sections over and over till I got many good takes and then placed them about. There may be some re-used takes on the second half of the song but I didnt think that would stand out. Maybe i tried too hard to get consistant takes.... but it got smushy sounding if I didnt have them absolutely nailed.

I did re-use a couple of the Lead takes.. Is that what you are hearing as too perfect?.. I probably should have had more takes to pool from there.

Man, dont worry about 100% percent correct takes, because it gets boring and robotic.

Back