Shopping for sound card

neilt

Hello. I am a newbie here.
This topic has probably been posted a million times :)

I will be building a new system in the fall, and am currently researching which sound card I want. Heres all the info I can think of:

What I have now is the SB Live Platinum, which has done ok, but I want to go slightly more professional than that. I have a budget of approx $350 CAD for the sound device, and have realized there are many options out there.

My main use for this system will be as a digital recording studio. I plan to record Guitar/bass directly from my effects processor into the sound card. All other instruments will be created using sequencing software. I will also do a small amout of gaming. I am not really interested in the big 6.1 surround sound used for movies and games.

My original idea was the Audigy 2zs, or the new Audigy 4. But now I realize there are MANY more cards dedicated to the type of hobby I have. I am hoping to have some input based on your experiences.

Thank-you
Neil

Audiophile 24/96 man! Bought mine on ebay for $120 CAD. You won't be disappointed. I also thought of the Audigy and Soundblaster but there was too much extra stuff that was irrelevant to me just making things more confusing.

yea the 2496 is a great card i paid even less than that for it. i used to have the 2ZS Platinum card before the 2496 and i notice a huge difference in my recordings now.

Back