Shopping for Mic Stands...

i have some hercules mic stands they're really tough. i also have a k&m stand and it's tougher. when i have the money to replace my peavey mic stands, i think i'm gonna go with k&m.

so many booms suck and break and strip. most verticals and bases have been ok for me. I'm thinking of just making my own, i've had mics on a boom suddenly just drop b/c one of the parts in the clamp to the vertical just suddenly disintegrated!

i scored a set of 6 atlas soound stands at an auction for 100 bucks. Not a tripod, they are round base, but sure do hold up to a lot. Nothing has broken in four years, and the adjustable counterweight makes them suitable for anything.

K&M = Ultimate?

Is K&M and Ultimate the same company? Whats the deal? Do they sell the exact same products or are there differences?

Thanks,

Mongoo

wishtheend said:
Anyone have any suggestions on what are some decent stands that won't break my wallet? I'm looking at 4 or 5 to be used when mic'ing drums (overheads, toms, snare, close mic'ed cymbals) and when mic'ing guitar cabs, so it would have to be able to extend for OH's.

Bogen / Manfrotto are great stands. VERY durable, and not expensive.

I have the manfrotto 3336. Just google them, they can be found everywhere. Those and the AEA stands.

Teddy

I just went out and bought a couple of Profile boom-style stands today for 37 dollars Canadian each, tax and all. They're really solid-looking and seem to work ok thus far.. time will tell I suppose.

Musician's Friend has some good stands at the 25 and 30 dollar level if you are uneasy about the cheapest ones.

I have been using one for a couple of years and the only problem that I have is that with a mic pair on the end of an extended boom they will tip. A few sandbags sould be required equipment with ANY boom mic stand.

The two big questions as other have hinted are:

Will people other than you be using and adjusting them. People allways treat stuff they don't own rougher.

Also how often will they be adjusted? If these are going to get set up around the drum set and left there for months the threads are unlikely to get stripped anytime soon. My mic stand sits in my voiceover booth and gets moved one every month or so.

Innovations said:
Musician's Friend has some good stands at the 25 and 30 dollar level if you are uneasy about the cheapest ones.

Those are about the cheapest ones....

Innovations said:
I have been using one for a couple of years and the only problem that I have is that with a mic pair on the end of an extended boom they will tip. A few sandbags sould be required equipment with ANY boom mic stand.

Uh... that's just not true. I had one boom mic stand back in Tennessee that I extended with a ten foot aluminum tent pole and stuck a mic on the end of that and it STILL didn't tip over. In fact, I stood up under the tning and smacked my head on the counterweight and it just sat there and spun....

I now have one boom mic stand that extends to about eight feet high and about a six foot boom. I've put mics at the end of it at full extension, high enough that I miked our church balcony from the ground level. No tipping. Of course, its tripod legs spread wider than the ones holding my camcorder, so no surprise there.

You get what you pay for. That second one was about a $120 boom stand, but I think we got it for about $85 or $90. I wouldn't want to own very many of them because they take up so much room, but I wouldn't trade that one for the world.

I also have a Tama boom mic stand that's currently extended with a cymbal on the end of it, a second one hanging off a mini-boom on the side, and a 10" expansion tom also hanging on it---all on approximately the same side. It is part of my drum kit. I could break a head before it would tip.

My $25 mic stands have trouble staying up on carpet with a 5 ounce Nady CM-90. My $50 Tamas stay up at full extension with a 3 pound ribbon. Cheap pieces of junk tip over. Buy a mic stand that doesn't suck, and leave the sand bags at home.

I've used On Stage tripod stands, and although I didn't run into the clutch and plastic problems mentioned here, they were way too light duty, and as suggested above, they are a bad bet for real world use with pricey mics. However- this is a whole different animal-

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/search/detail/base_id/129683/src=0063

Un Stage SB96+ (note the plus sign) is an $80, heavy duty boom that extends to 82" with no problem, will support a Solidtube or whatever you have got, can be extended to about 12' in the air with no problem. It has a kind of big footpront, though. I've had a pair for 3 years and use them for almost everything. On drums, I use one or two for overheads, a miniboom for kick, and for most of the rest I use a a straight stand with a round base and a 10-20 lb. barbell weight over the base. I bought the telescoping booms separately and attached them to the straight stands. I do know of one guy on this board who got an SB96+ with a bad weld, but that's the only problem I've heard of with them. They were apparently discontinued for a while, but they brought them back because they are the only real heavy duty booms on the market for less than $100.- Richie

Does anyone know who makes the stand that has the plastic barbell bottom that interlocks with the other stands? I must have cheap stands cause I am always throwing big pieces of steel or plastic weights on them to add to the stability. But I do not like the footprint of the tripod stands.

Back