Shopping for a Soundcard.. Question...Help!!

berkleywoods

Im looking to purchas a Soundcard for my PC setup and I have become overwhelmed with the plethora of options...I've been looking at the Aardvark Q10....And I've been checking out the Digi-001 setup.

My question is it worth to spend 800 bucks on these types of cards. What do these cards have that separate them from similar type cards that are half the price??

I dont want cut corners with my soundcard choice, but money is tight and if I can get a similar soundcard for less money, than I should probably look around more.

I need to be able to record 8 tracks simultaneously. I like the 24 bit cards,and I need the mic pre's.

Can anyone help me out??

I don't know too much about either of those systems, but I don't think the mic pre's in either are all that well-respected. I would either go with a system with no mic pre's (Delta 44/66, Echo cards) so you save your money for a good dedicated pre or one with good built-in mic pre's (Omni Studio). On the other hand, if you absolutely need to be able to record 8 channels at once, your options are a bit limited. I know you can run two delta cards at once for 8 in/8 out (plus spdif on the Delta 66). Do you need mic pre's for all 8 channels? If so, the Aardvark Q10 might be your best option.

Also, if you're looking to go Pro Tools vs. Sonar, Cubase, etc., you should consider Digidesign's M-Box USB, which should be coming out later this month for under $500, instead of the Digi001. It has 2 focusrite pre's, but I'm not sure how many channels it has.

how many mic pres do you need...you can get a Delta 1010lt for $379 but it only comes with 2 mic pres....you can get a Midiman Audio Buddy for $79 whcich is a 2 channel unit for the additional channels you need......

If your serious about your future plans using a PC to record then go with the best you can afford, yes 24bit.
I use Logic Audio by emagic the last 4 years and its very stable and easy to use, although with any popular programs it takes a couple of years to learn it all and get good at it.
About the digi001, if you have a Maco might be ok, but it seems as though they have'nt worked out all the bugs for the PC version. A buddy of mine tried it with PC and it was S---.
Its also a dificult program to learn.
When I started, I went with the Audiowerk8 home studio kit which is no longer available. Might find it on ebay or something.
I would try and go with a complete package such as that. It will save you some money verses buying individual components.
I will be upgrading my card soon to the M-audio Delta 66. I dont need the software thats bundled with it, but this would be a good package for you to look at. Saw one used on ebay for 250.00....musicians friend has it for 299.00 and Mars stores for 319.00. This is pretty inexpensive and would be great for you.
And as one said the Delta 1010 has more inputs and mic pre's.
or you can go with the cheaper version like Delta 44 and get an inexpensive external mixer for your multiple inputs and mike pre's.

Back