shockmounts on Octava mc-012?

MrBoogie

I am about to take the plunge and snag a pair of mc-012's from Sound Room as per RE's advise :)(that's a big chunk of $$ for me). I noticed they have a neat little shockmount that work for them; but do I *need* to get the shockmounts? I don't really know how much noise can be picked up from the mike stand with this type of mike. Does it depend on what you're recording? I know that for my Rode NT-1, the included mike clip works fine, but it's a whole different animal.

Also, what is the Lomo head good for? Vocals, acoustic g.?

WHERE you're recording makes as much of a difference as WHAT you're recording. I use shock mounts on all my mics, including the dynamics, because I get tractors going by my house. They aren't very audible from inside, but the vibrations go from the floor right up the mic stand.
Before I started using the shock mounts, I would get noise from the vibrations that I didn't hear until I played back.

The Oktavas are much more sensitive to vibration on the cord or stand than, say an SM57, which is filled with silicon caulk.

Having said that, they come with a clamp mount and I have rarely had a problem with the clamp. If you need to, you can make an inexpensive shockmount from the 3/4" to 1"" aluminum strips and either rubber bands or that elastic cord they sell in sewing shops.
Bend two 8-12 in pieces into a "U" and drill holes/screw these in a third straight piece that is big enough to hold the mics between the cords. Between these "U"s, I cut off the upper edges of an SM57-style plastic mic clip from RS and epoxied the base of the metal to the top of the plastic mic holder. Attach the elastic between the Us through holes or in notches cut in the edges.

Less than $10, fits on a 5/8"-27 mic stand.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MarkW:
The Oktavas are much more sensitive to vibration on the cord or stand than, say an SM57, which is filled with silicon caulk.

Having said that, they come with a clamp mount and I have rarely had a problem with the clamp. If you need to, you can make an inexpensive shockmount from the 3/4" to 1"" aluminum strips (from Home Depot, etc.) and either rubber bands or that elastic cord they sell in sewing shops.

Bend two 8-12 in pieces into a "U" and drill holes/screw these in a third straight piece that is big enough to hold the mics between the cords. Between these "U"s, I cut off the upper edges of an SM57-style plastic mic clip from RS and epoxied the base of the metal to the top of the plastic mic holder. Attach the elastic between the Us through holes or in notches cut in the edges.

I found this on the web--if I can find the URL I'll post it here.

Less than $10, fits on a 5/8"-27 mic stand.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back