Shockmounts a necessity?

riotshield

Hi,

I have a couple of oft-recommended condensers (SP B1 and Marshall V67G) and I got my first real chance to use them last weekend. So far I'm just using the clips that came with them, but was thinking about getting shockmounts (frankly just because it seemed like everyone else uses them). However, I don't live near any earthquake-prone zones and the vocalist is nice enough not to touch the stand or mic while singing, so would it really be necessary? I'd appreciate your input before I blow $50 on a couple of them. Thanks :)

Reactions: SRR
I use my B1 with the clip and it works just fine. Why don't you just try it out. You can always add the shockmounts later.

Simon

I use Shockmounts with my Neumanns but for other mics, its not worth it. It is not going to make any difference in quality, but may look like a Neumann in your pictures. If you are not so fond of exhibiting your stuff, better use the $50 in a good gear.

If I recall correctly, the B1 has an internal shockmount for the capsule. It probably sounds better without a shockmount than most mics.

The thing about the shockmount (other than "looking like a nuemann"- which I think is a little silly) is that they help isolate the mic from vibrations moving through the floor to the stand.

Ever notice that some musicians just can't help but tap their feet- even if just lightly? Most condensors (even crappy ones) will pick that up as low frequency rumble unless shockmounted. Same thing if the musicians shifts weight on a wooden floor. Even if it doesn't make an audible creak, the vibration of the floor can travel through the stand and register in the mic as low freq. hash.

I always use them. It has even saved takes where someone slammed a door somewhere in the building and we all felt it. Right at the fade out of a perfect take, too. Between the lowcut filter and the shockmount it wasn't even audible. I really looked "cool" for having saved the take (at least to those who had no idea that the take never needed to be saved in the first place- other than being set up is the correct way to begin with.)

On the other hand, I think they are rediculously high priced. Your call. If you don't think your recordings would improve from less lowend hash, don't buy them until you do feel that you need them. Just remember that they exist for a reason and not just to look cool.

Take care,
Chris

Thanks for the help. I think I'll buy one for the V67G ($25). I finally got around to buying a $20 pop filter after using a foam windscreen for so long, and that made a difference (less muffled highs). Hopefully this will be worthwhile too :)

There was an article in TapeOp magazine a few months ago about how to make your own shockmount. Subscriptions to TapeOp are free, btw... (www.tapeop.com)
Cheap as hell, gets the job done, but won't look like a Neumann.

You can also make your own pop filter out of women's nylon stockings.

Try the message boards there and see if anyone will tell you how it's done.

Does anyone have a copy of that article?

According to a google search on "make your own shockmount tapeop", a website had this to say:

"Plans for a homemade shockmount are in TapeOp issue #33."

I haven't bothered going to tapeop to look, but its a place to start.

Also, congrats on unearthing a 4 year old thread :D

Shockmounts aren't a big deal if you're on carpet but they're pretty important on a hard surface, especially wood floors. They also help alot if you are trying to mic up an entire band in one room, you don't want the kick, bass or jumping idiot to shake the mic.

Back