Shocking!!!!

amarach

Hello all,
I'm usually to be found trawling the microphone forum and for some unknowable reason i 'scrolled down' before logging in today...
cakewalk forum eh?
i use cakewalk, i'll have a look...
ok i have spent all my time upgrading my mics and preamps and things without considering for a second that my actual software is out of date..
i use Cakewalk PA9..
i know i know...i can hear the sharp intake of breath..
but just bear with me - i think that for what i use cakewalk for it is fine...straight recording and editing....i don't think i need a sonar program because i record acoustic instuments 100% of the time and have no desire for midi and/or synth capabilities...
so the real situation boils down to this...
should i upgrade to something like home studio and if i do...can i drag all my 250-odd cakewalk PA9 songs across...
i'm worried that if i don't upgrade sometime in the future it'll be impossible to import the cakewalk files...(please tell me it isn't too late already!!!)
YIKES...
i'm having palpitations...
thanks

amarach said:
Hello all,
I'm usually to be found trawling the microphone forum and for some unknowable reason i 'scrolled down' before logging in today...
cakewalk forum eh?
i use cakewalk, i'll have a look...
ok i have spent all my time upgrading my mics and preamps and things without considering for a second that my actual software is out of date..
i use Cakewalk PA9..
i know i know...i can hear the sharp intake of breath..
but just bear with me - i think that for what i use cakewalk for it is fine...straight recording and editing....i don't think i need a sonar program because i record acoustic instuments 100% of the time and have no desire for midi and/or synth capabilities...
so the real situation boils down to this...
should i upgrade to something like home studio and if i do...can i drag all my 250-odd cakewalk PA9 songs across...
i'm worried that if i don't upgrade sometime in the future it'll be impossible to import the cakewalk files...(please tell me it isn't too late already!!!)
YIKES...
i'm having palpitations...
thanks

Even Sonar Home Studio is light years ahead of PA9 at this point.

I suggest you hold off an a purchase - Cakewalk has announced Sonar Home Studio 6 will be shipping by the end of February.

I use & really like PA9.3
It does all I need & more & I'm still learning new stuff as I go. There's a link earlier in this section about VSTs & a wrapper so you can get a lot of newer stuff/effects if desired.
Just do a forum search for VST or wrapper.
Ah. I found a link:
http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=201428&highlight=vst
If it works for you that's almost everytjing - mind you upgrading CAN be good too.
I can't afford the cash to change & am still learning as I said so I'm happy with PA.
The leap from 4 track portastudio to Cakewalk was a big one though.

I didn't know about the cheap upgrade. I blocked email correspondence due to overkill & only visited the old PA pages when I realized I could up from 9.1.
Hmm.
That is cheap! I'll have to think about that now.
Mind, I'm not quick on upgrades. I resisted XP for a couple of years, & much prefer running PA9.3 on '98.
I also have no midi stuff & no intention to move in that direction so at least 1/2 of PA9.3 is wasted on me.
Having read about Vista I don't think I'll go there in a hurry - I only powered up to a GIG RAM a couple of months ago & don't want to have 1/2 that sucked away by Microsoft overkill. - My how loved my 1st PC running 95 with 8 meg. I currently have more RAM in this comp than I had hard drive in my 1st Presario.

amarach said:
thanks guys...
so home studio may be the way to go...roll on release date

I placed my order last night for SHS 6 XL, so I should be one of the first ones to get it when it ships in a couple of weeks! :)

If you have no need for midi...I use guitar tracks pro 3 and I'm sold on it...been using it for a couple of years now and its great.

Back