Shock Mount - Nut & Bolt

SyDiko

Hey Guys,

Quick question in regards to my AKG Perception 200 shock mount thumb screw and bolt.

The thumb screw is no longer holding the microphone up and I was wondering if anyone had success with universal type knob screw from a hardware store? I'd rather not have to spend another $40ish on the whole shock mount, when I can just replace the worn out part.

Thanks in advance for any leads or help. :D

Did the screw or knob thread strip out?

I think it's the knob thread that is stripped, but I will have to double-check when I get home.

I have a P200 and just took apart the locking nut and screw. I think it would be easily doable, but may not look to pretty depending on the hardware you may get. One side of the assembly is recessed and shaped to fit a hex head bolt or nut and appears to fit up with a metric sized hex head. This may mean a metric thread on a screw and knob which may or may not be easily obtained depending where you are. Ideally the screw portion should fit through the silver collar/bushing so that can be used in the assembly. If I were looking for something like this I'd go to a home center (Lowes or Home Depot) where they have a wide assortment of hardware in drawers and may be easy to find metric sizes. Be sure to get a screw size not too long so it can be tightened up securely.

The other alternative would be to contact the parts department at.....
Technical Support | AKG

Much appreciate the advice and link! I'll just bring the mount and knob to the local lowes and match a nut and bolt until it works I guess. I'll even repost the results and sizes used. Perhaps save others a few dollars as well. Last resort would be to see what AKG themselves have in stock.

Success, and it looks good too!

So basically my AKG shock mount knob had a crack in it and it wasn't tightening the shock mount in place. And, here's what (I did) and is needed to fix it..

First you'll need to know the bolt pattern of the nut and knob: 10-32.

Now that you are armed with the correct bolt pattern, take your shock mount (knob and nut) and hit up your local hardware store (lowes, home depot, etc.) and find a 10-32 knob of your choice @ about 1/2 inch long. You might want to double-check the bolt pattern yourself too just to be on the safe side using their sizing charts. Also, make sure that the knob tightens the mount properly! Once you have a good fit, you'll need to grab a washer that's #10, which will help ensure the grip lasts.

And, that's it, very simple fix and it only cost about $4 bucks! Definitely beats buying a whole new shock mount and/or dealing with a parts department. :)

Here's a quick Google Search for similar knobs that'll work with this particular shock mount: https://www.google.com/search?q=10-...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Last edited:
Back