Shipping guitars to the USA from thE UK

Monsterpop

Hi folks

im sure a lot of you on here have done this before

but i just sold a guitar on Ebay to a fella in the USA
So im trying to figure out the best,and fairly inexpensive way to do it

any advice would be most appreciated:cool:

DHL are a company I've shipped things with internationally - but never guitars. I've seen the ads here for international FedEx - but I've never used them internationally. They're very good for deliveries within the USA.

I'm assuming you know to loosen the strings, support the neck, pack it so it can't move in the case and then put the case in a cardboard box and completely surround the case with 'peanuts'.
Definitely get the insurance - and over-insure it.

Hope this helps . . .

Whatever you do, DO NOT SHIP IT Fed Ex!!!! Of all the guitars and amps I've bought online, Fed Ex has managed to break two guitars and an amp. Stick with UPS or DHL, neither has ever done me wrong.

DHL are a company I've shipped things with internationally - but never guitars. I've seen the ads here for international FedEx - but I've never used them internationally. They're very good for deliveries within the USA.

I'm assuming you know to loosen the strings, support the neck, pack it so it can't move in the case and then put the case in a cardboard box and completely surround the case with 'peanuts'.
Definitely get the insurance - and over-insure it.

Hope this helps . . .

hi mate
thank you for that:)
what would be the best way to support the neck?
would it be with cardboard, around the middle?
i have a box of those wee foam type chips and a box of shredded cardboard piices that i got as packing on stuff i bought, so i shall use them for filling
i shall do my best:cool:
cheers;)

Whatever you do, DO NOT SHIP IT Fed Ex!!!! Of all the guitars and amps I've bought online, Fed Ex has managed to break two guitars and an amp. Stick with UPS or DHL, neither has ever done me wrong.

hi Buck
wow,,that bad eh?
i dont even know if they have Fed Ex here in Scotland, but thank you for that info:cool:
i just realised that getting the case inside a cardboard box is a problem
as i dont have one

DOH

Are you shipping airfreight or sea freight? I've shipped allround the world with many companies and have never had a problem. Mainly for these reasons.

Always speak to the company first and ask for their advice.
Always pack the guitar three times. Of itself in acid free paper, in bubble wrap, in a sturdy case, that fits well. use foam to pack out the case so the guitar is held firmly inside the case. Wrap the case in cardboard and tape then wrap it again. Leave forward and return instructions and contact details inside the case and between each layer. Get good insurance.

Don't be tempted to go for the cheapest deal. I always tell my customers that ir is better that it arrives in one piece than in several a few days or weeks earlier.

what would be the best way to support the neck?
QUOTE]

Just use something to raise it so that the the headstock isn't touching the back (or bottom) of the case at all.

It's so that if it receives some kind of shock, it won't jar the neck and break or split it.

Good luck.

Prolly too late for this, but the couple of times I have ebayed to Europe, I just made the buyer do all of the legwork with the promise that I would recommend a few local pack and ship shops to drop it off at.

Back