Shel Silverstein 101

TAE

All you have is now
Mick Doobie asked me about Shel Silverstein in the My Corona thread........I was a fan since Dr. Hook in the late 70's but damn then he shows up as an author of childrens books I'm reading to my kids 15 years later..

So I'll post some stuff on Shel here...( post away yerselves) I'm surprised by how much of a prolific songwriter, author and just bitchin dude he was....

Don't know how I missed you saying "Shel" in the mp3 clinic. Actually when you mentioned the name in the past I read a lot about him. That dude was all over the place, even wrote One's On The Way, an old song from back in the early 70s made famous by Loretta Lynn about having a mess of chilrens....and one's on the way! Word is ol' Shel was a heckuva lady's man.

That Sylvia's Mother is awesome. The one I like from that session, probably because I was unfamiliar until somewhat recently, Carry Me.

In this Midnight Special a few things to note...when ol Deep voice steps up to the mic notice how he kind mumbles and doesn't say Cocaine Katie ...Cocaine was kinda starting to go a little crazy in 1974...Notice the Peavey Musician amps with the 4 12's I bought mine in 1974 along with a 910 leslie and an Elka Rhapsody ensemble...think he has a farfisa on top of the hammond...man old electric pianos DID not sound much like a real piano but the had a sound all their own.... Dems was the days....

Back when we were teenagers a buddy had a Rhodes, and a mini moog....and a Gibson Goldtop. Where or how the hell he ended up with a mini moog I couldn't tell you. Monophonic. It was fun to fuck with, but the reality was he didn't know what to do with it. I think those Fender Rhodes are now going for a heap of money.

Still have your Leslie?

Back