shaving the frets

gibsonguy09

Has any one shaved the frets on a electric guitar? I am really into playing jazz and blues. I love string basses and electric basses tht are fretless and i have a old strat that i never use that i am tihnking about experimenting with. Any ideas?

Are you talking about just taking the metal frets off? If you are, I don't recommend it... Unless you like really high action. I did it to an old strat of mine and it made it sound almost like a sitar. It was really hard to play, too. But, if you want to experiment, I won't stop you. I'll just warn you... You probably won't like it.

well i was planning on taking out the metal frets and then filling it in, sanding it smooth again and hoping for the best, i mean its an old guitar tht i don't play anymore, so why not try something cool? Something cool could come out of it possibly

Well, if you really feel you must, go right ahead. I'm not going to stand in your way. I'll hope for the best on your behalf. GOOD LUCK!!!

gibsonguy09 said:
....an old strat that i never use...

Send it to me, I'll be quite happy to put it to use.
:)

Seriously, if it's a real Strat, don't do that to it. And as Outlaw has pointed out, chords (or even doube stops) are impossible.

I just played a fretless guitar the other day. It was a cheap strat knockoff (Johnson maybe?). Anyway, it was kind of fun to goof around on it. I only played it for a few minutes and I agree that playing chords is difficult, but it is a fun sound. might be good for special effect/novelty use.

32-20-Blues said:
Send it to me, I'll be quite happy to put it to use.
:)

Seriously, if it's a real Strat, don't do that to it. And as Outlaw has pointed out, chords (or even doube stops) are impossible.

I agree; that would be a terrible thing to do to a Strat.

i'll just b doign little lead stuff on it, and its a crate strat style guitar, i got nice pick-ups on it, motherbucker bridge pickup and tex mex neck pickup so it sounds pretty good, but i started the tear down today. i think im going to repaint it to, just for fun, like a splatter paint or something

If your going to do it, get it done by a professional. Fretless fingerboards are very critical, and if you ever want to go back (and you might), you need to be careful removing the frets.

Oh, and if it's a maple fingerboard, forget it. Finished fretless fingerboards are a major pain in the ass.

Or, maybe you could get an inexpensive neck and remove the frets from that.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Light said:
Oh, and if it's a maple fingerboard, forget it. Finished fretless fingerboards are a major pain in the ass.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Umm i really do not know if its maple or not. its an inexpensive guitar as it is so i do not know. And randy at guitar attention center (not guitar center) will remove the frets for me

i got the frets off and everything sanded down, so far so good, although i had to grind down the end of the nippers because i didn't guy an actual fret pulling tool.

Back