shareware programs?

Sanjanjoseph

Hey, any one know any decent shareware programs anything like mixing, recording, w.e........suggestions are a big help guys! im kinda, well very, broke, and just interested in the field...thanks to any who responding... :)

by shareware do you mean freeware?

do a search for the krystal audio engine. havn't heard much about it in the last little while but it looked pretty neat. Also there is audacity for the linux system.

Here are some for the Mac that I use:

Coaster--a simple freeware AIFF recorder with a fair amount of basic controls. I use this when I bring my Portastudio into the Mac for stereo mixdowns and it does what it's supposed to do quite well.

Sound Sculptor--this one's shareware, but I use it an awful lot so it's worth it. Basically it's an editor, not a recorder, but it allows for 8 tracks, has a good assortment of built-in effects. The downside is that there's no provision for plug-ins that I'm aware of, and there are some glaring omissions (like a compressor, for instance). I also don't like that you can't just drop discrete soundclips in to the timeline and have them stay separate entities as you can in something like ProTools, they have to be inserted into something that's already there. One cool thing I use Sound Sculptor for is rudimentary synthesis. One of the "effects" is an oscillator that you can use to generate a static tone of a given frequency/pitch and waveform, and with creative use of the 8 tracks, effects, etc, you can build static but complex timbres that you can then edit into other things as needed (fex I created a pretty convincing simulation of an old-fashioned telephone call using nothing but Sound Sculptor). Overall, for basic editing this isn't bad, if you don't mind giving up some of the pro-type stuff that higher-end software has.

Amadeus--another shareware editor that's worth looking into. This one's only stereo, and you can't edit each channel separately, but it DOES support VST plug-ins (some of the included free ones sound pretty nice, in fact) and it has some cool toys besides, like a spectrogram mode for analyzing the frequency content of a soundclip. Basically this seems like a poor man's Sound Forge.

I don't have the URLs on me right now, but a quick Google search should get you there; they're probably also on one of those shareware sites like tucows.om.

cheers

Billy S.

Back