Shambolic Midwestern Fever-Folk

Wash Jones

Hello. Thanks for clicking on my pretentious title. My band (The Homeville Circle) has recently posted some preliminary mixes of a couple songs from a recording we're working on. I would love very much to hear your opinion on them. Not only the recording, but also the song-writing/general aesthetic:

The Homeville Circle

Please feel free to be brutally honest, but please evaluate for what it is
(lo-fi, psych-folk) and not for what it isn't (studio-rock).

Thanks in advance.

Cool catchy rhythms and riffs. This definitely has a unique sound overall, I enjoy this.
Maybe give it some more bass.
Maybe some more volume or EQing space on the vocals, they're good but somewhat hard to understand at times.
Songwriting is very good in my opinion, the song stays interesting throughout. The only songwriting thing I'd recommend is that the song really seems to build in volume/intensity for the end, then ends sort of abruptly... I'd maybe do a few more riffs and calm it down, fade it out a bit more... guess it'd be cool to hear a bit more
Cool track :cool:

Thank you very much for the advice, and the interest. It could definitely use some more bass, we'll fix that for the final mix. I'm always a bit nervous to make my voice very loud (it's a bit shaky, after all) but I do want the lyrics to come through, so I'll have to give them more juice/EQing space. As far as ending abruptly, I think this is true, but it usually is the first part in a three song series, which might make it seem less abrupt. It might be a good idea to add another part anyway, in case we want to separate it.

The drummer says that he noticed that the drums didn't seem sufficiently "big." To be honest, I don't usually like huge drums, especially from this kind of music (mandolins vs. mastodon drums = everybody loses). Are there any opinions on this matter?

Very entertaining and original music. The drummer is correct about the drum sound, and I believe the reason is lies more in the way they were recorded than in the way they were mixed. When you do the actual tracking in a studio, consider using a metronome or click track to keep things in sync.

Wash Jones said:
Thank you very much for the advice, and the interest. It could definitely use some more bass, we'll fix that for the final mix. I'm always a bit nervous to make my voice very loud (it's a bit shaky, after all) but I do want the lyrics to come through, so I'll have to give them more juice/EQing space. As far as ending abruptly, I think this is true, but it usually is the first part in a three song series, which might make it seem less abrupt. It might be a good idea to add another part anyway, in case we want to separate it.

The drummer says that he noticed that the drums didn't seem sufficiently "big." To be honest, I don't usually like huge drums, especially from this kind of music (mandolins vs. mastodon drums = everybody loses). Are there any opinions on this matter?

You probably don't have to raise the vox volume, just some EQ like you said. Anyway, listening again, I stick to my bass comment. About your drum question, I'm not a drummer but I personally like the sound here. You could add verb to make them bigger, but personally I think the sound fits the style just right at the moment. Cool song :cool: :cool:

Back