Shallow rack trays or bes way to cut one?

MrBoogie

I have several small (1/2 and 1/3 U) pieces of rack gear (LXP1, LXP5, TubePre, AudioBuddy, etc..). I have some universal rack trays thad hold the gear ok, but they are so deep, that when I have 3 or 4 U of gear stacked in my rack, it's damn near impossible to get my hands in there when I want to re-wire. Plus, I'm planning on building a shallower rack to make more efficient use of my small room.

I want to cut these shorter to custom fit my gear. I have some metal shears (the hand-held scissors type) from Home Depot. I don't know if they'll do a good job on this 14 gauge steel, or if they'll cut it at all. Any tips on cutting these down? Or else, does anyone sell shallower universal rack trays for this smaller gear?

MrBoogie

All I can say is, once you've cut them please be sure to put some sort of tape or other protection on the rear edges. If you don't, you'll cut your hands to pieces when you reach in there.

I don't know of any shallower rack trays, but I think an intensive google search is in order. They must certainly be out there somewhere.

Reactions: NL5
1/2 rack units

Mr.Boogie, I use velcro strips under the units. just take off any little rubber footing they may have on the bottom of the units so you get contact with the bottom of the rack tray. then just put some velcros on the front portion of the tray so that the units are up close to the edge of the rack tray, and put the other velcros on the bottom of the 1/2 or 1/3 rack unit and press in place. it works even better if you have a full rack unit over the top of the rack tray units.

dont think shears will do it. maybe if you mark the line to be cut with a sharpie marker pen and lock it down in a vice or similar a sawzall or recipricating saw would cut it. just take you time to get a straight line.if you never cut with one its better to let someone do it for you as it is bouncey and your supposed to hold the tool and blsade firm against what is to be cut otherwise the vibration works against the blade.

Back