SG Strap Button Relocation?

Yes....I love the tone of my Epi SG G400. And...for me...it's playable now and enjoyable.

I forgot to mention that I initally tried the old style method of connecting the strap to the head piece....you know...like we used to do with acoustics back in the day. That created the exact opposite problem. The body sunk and the neck swung upwards. And...it just felt wierd to have the strap way out there on my left side.

Yeah....I know....boring stuff but if I had this problem.......lots of others did so maybe this info helps.

Mick

funny we have a old Epi SG , I was going to put strings on and saw this thread... SG stuff.
Velcro shirts with Velcro Strap? how about drilling and adding weights to balance it , like the opposite of LesPaul owners complaing the guitar is too heavy?

I know the SG has turned out to be on a lot of my favorite guitar recordings though, by far ...weird?
I never played one really, a friend said they are more for standing up and not the best at sitting-down players. But over and over I would hear a great guitar track and seek out info and again and again it was a SG, I didnt get into which pickups though or if its the fron or rear pup.
ACDC, BlackSabbath, even BEatle tracks Revolver SG , ...definitely a flat piece of wood guitar in comparison to LP and Strat....more similar to a Tele, not much contours.

Anyway....Im putting some strings on it and was actually wondering if the intonation bridge piece faced the headstock or the bridge...seems it faces the headstock.

Ill have to check a strap now.....never heard of neck dive.?

In the mid-late 70's I had an SG bass. I always played that standing up and can't for the life of me recall dealing with neck dive. All I do remember is it was that SG maroon finish and I bought it used with an Earth bass head and cab and the bass had the oldest, filthiest strings I've ever seen, just black with crud - played it that way for maybe 4 years and never changed them.

funny we have a old Epi SG , I was going to put strings on and saw this thread... SG stuff.
Velcro shirts with Velcro Strap? how about drilling and adding weights to balance it , like the opposite of LesPaul owners complaing the guitar is too heavy?

I know the SG has turned out to be on a lot of my favorite guitar recordings though, by far ...weird?
I never played one really, a friend said they are more for standing up and not the best at sitting-down players. But over and over I would hear a great guitar track and seek out info and again and again it was a SG, I didnt get into which pickups though or if its the fron or rear pup.
ACDC, BlackSabbath, even BEatle tracks Revolver SG , ...definitely a flat piece of wood guitar in comparison to LP and Strat....more similar to a Tele, not much contours.

Anyway....Im putting some strings on it and was actually wondering if the intonation bridge piece faced the headstock or the bridge...seems it faces the headstock.

Ill have to check a strap now.....never heard of neck dive.?
If you're referring to the bridge.....the adjustment screws should face the headstock / pickups.

Mick

yes I was..thanks. Looked at it and was like ? its been without strings for probably 6 years...I thought something to do. string it up, and plug it in!

the nose dive thing was weird.
I never played a SG live, always Strat or LP types. Do you know the weight needed to balance a SG?

2lbs or 10lbs or would a small 12oz of a metal plug on the butt balance it?

If you're referring to the bridge.....the adjustment screws should face the headstock / pickups.

Mick
Hey thanks for asking cool cat and thanks for answering Mick, my Eppy sg was acting up and I was gonna send it out for a good set up until this thread and I noticed I had put the bridge piece in facing the wrong way. Turned it around and just like magic all good now.
Guy

Back