SF Batch Converter Problem: Help!

rontokyo

I just used the Batch Converter to dither a dozen files from 32 to 16 bit. Opening the files upon completion, I discover that the files no longer have any waveform. I'd say they've been erased completely but each one still shows a specific time and size in mb. a] What happened? b] Is there any way to recover my files?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I am not sure what happened AND I am not sure how to alleviate the problem.

Try opening the file in SF.

Then, Ctrl-A>Ctrl-C>Ctrl-N>ENTER>Ctrl-V

Is the new file showing anything now?????

Or you could try this........

Copy the file, before you open it.

Does that show anything?

Post us back.

Peace...

spin

First of all... when running batch converter, I wouldn't have write-over the original files - you can easily tell it to put the processed versions in another subfolder.

Second - not seeing a waveform means you've got somethin gin the plug-in chain that either has the output at 0, or one of the settings is causing zero output. Re-examine your plug-in chain.

I'm aware *now* that I should have saved the processed files in another location so as to save the originals. The bit converter was the only plug-in in the chain and there is no volume setting on that plug-in so I don't think that is the problem.

But what's weird is that although zero waveform is shown, both time and file size are the same as the original. Which leads me to believe that *maybe* my file is still there lurking in the background somewhere and I just need some *trick* to pull it up. I'm still hopefull that a member here will come up with a fix.

Audio amplitude has no bearing on filesize......... a WAV file that contains a signal takes up the same space if the signal's waveform has zero amplitude (ie no signal) or a full level.

No waveform means that whatever you told your bit converter to do, it produced zero output. Period.

Again - you should check you settings on the plug, you've obviously set it incorrectly.

I use Batch Converter all the time -- I know a thing or two about it.

Blue Bear Sound said:
I use Batch Converter all the time -- I know a thing or two about it.

I believe you. Would you do me a favor and test the bit rate converter function on your copy of the software? Specifically, would you dither a 32bit file down to 16 [using Highpass Triangular dither and Equal Loudness Contour Noise Shaping] and see what results you get. I've tried different possible settings on the plug, all resulting in either zero amplitude waveform or vertical lines. Your help would be much appreciated.

Just tested it........

Within Sound Forge itself, the Bit Depth plug has no problem converting 32-bit files to other bit depths.

Within the Batch Processor - apparently, the same plug doesn't like to handle 32-bit files - the result was a zero-amplitude file like you described.

If I used a 24-bit version of my sample clip, however, it worked correctly from within the BP....

Looks like a bug in that Batch Processor.......!

I guess the workaround is to manually convert your files within Sound Forge itself.......

Personally - I never work with 32-bit files (24-bit is plenty!), so I've never noticed the bug... I wonder if it's been fixed in Sound Forge 7?

Last edited:
Thanks for giving it a shot--at least now I now cause wasn't anything I was doing wrong. From what I understand Sony has pretty much abandoned the Batch Converter and no support/upgrades are available. As you've noted, using the bit depth conversion function within SF works fine, though using the Batch Converter sure would've saved a lot of time. BTW, I record vinyl to my hard drive and later do some processing [hence recording at 32bit is preferable] before finally converting to 16bit.

Back