Seymour Duncan bridge pickup

Jags

I am looking to replace the bridge pickup for my squier strat (i know, but I'm a student) and when i asked at my local guitar shop they had a small selection of SD pu's, the best of which seemed to be a stacked humbucker which was priced at £65 (or about $95). I have been looking about on the internet since to compare prices and i found the SD JBjr going for $68. Is this a better pickup than what they had in the shop? Or is it worth paying more for the type the shop had. I've noticed several people recommend the JBjr on here and the price is good, so should i go for it?

Thanks

Jags

I put a Seymore Duncan stacked humbucking in the bridge position of my Telecaster, mainly because everytime I played a club it seems they wanted the band to set up right where all the neon beer signs were and the ballast units would make the single pole pick ups light up like a fuckin Christmas tree. I now really like the sound of it and it was cool cause I didn't have to butcher the guitar to get it in (no additional routing to make it fit). :D

hey Jags,

IMO, the pickup is better if you like it better. you should consider going for the tone you want in a bridge pickup.

i personally like the George Lynch bridge PU, but i like the Scoop'd tone of this pickup. this is at least the 5th pickup i've had in the bridge of this guitar. i have a SD Tele Stack'd Neck PU that i really like for a more clean tone. it has a very rich lead tone when distorted and playing above the 10th fret. sounds terrible distorted below the 10th fret.

determine the tone you want. then discover a PU and form factor that'll give you that tone. remember that a side-by-side PU Humbucker sounds differently than a stacked Humbucker for the same Pickup type. so don't believe the sales hype when they state that a Stack'd pickup of some type is the same as the SBS. they're not.

if memory serves, the JB is designed for a Jazz tone. keep this in mind. if that's what you're looking for, then that's probably a good place to start. it doesn't matter how many people like a particular PU. it's what you want to hear or have heard.

-kp-

Back