Setup Question

mfro98

Im thinking about purchasing a setup with an echo layla sound card, some good mics and a mixer. I will be recording guitars (acoustic and electric), vocals, bass, and drums.

The sound card does not have mic preamps so i was thinking about using a mixer for that. Does this work? If so can i take my cables, plug them into the mixer and then plug them into the computer to record to?

I will be using cubase to record with. Is there a way to make the volume levels on the computer move when i change the volume levels on the external mixer?

Im pretty new at all this so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks matt

You could get by with a few dedicated mic-pres, but a mixer will definitely come in handy when it comes time to record the drums and for general signal routing. I've been happy with Mackie. I'd love to try out the smaller A&H mixers. I know drstawl has been pleased with his.

If you mean will a mixer work as a control surface for the software, generally no. There are control surface devices that exist but they are mostly pretty expensive. Some include some simple audio capabilites too, like stereo in and out.

Is there a way to make the volume levels on the computer move when i change the volume levels on the external mixer?

The faders on the mixer are what control the input recording levels to your software. So if that's what you mean, the answer is yes.

And yes, the mixer will serve as your preamps.

I also have a Mackie and have been quite happy with it for recording (good preamps). Look for a mixer with direct outs if you plan to do multiple tracking simultaneously (it'll cost more though for direct outs). This will allow you to run each channel from your mixer into a seperate input on your sound card.

I too have just bought a layla and am waiting on a computer.
I have the mackie 1604vlz which really was made for 8 tracking. 8 direct outs. The mackie 1604vlz has
4 bands of eq on each channel as well as 4 aux sends which is great if you have if you plan on using external effect processers. It has phantom power(it has 16xlr inputs)
It can be setup in various ways depending on your needs.
If you have enough mikes to record all instrutments it saves time plugging and unplugging.
Did you get the 24bit or the 16bit layla?

Duck

Back