setup help

johntheson

Greetings,
I just bought a new 1212m and I'm new to recording level soundcards. Can someone tell me how, and where to hook up some kind of speaker system to monitor the track already recorded while recording a new track. Also; how do I get my guitar signal into the 1212. I have an Abit/P4 with 512 ram. I have the card installed flawlessly. I also have a cheap Behringer UB802 mixer that I have used to record with my SB Live that I have in another system. Obviously with the SB Live; I just used my regular computer speaker to playback, and record simultaniously. I also put a new Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card in the system even if it's just temporarily because I've heard it might can be used for playback(?). I'm running Window 2000 SP4 and the system was just built as a dedicated recording system. Thank you so much .
John Sr.

Manning1,
Thank you for your reply. I did a search under your name and I really didn't fing anything about setting up the 1212m. I jusy wis I knew where to connect the cable for getting music into, and out of the computer. I don't mind any lengthy study of the functions of the card and softwaer. I would just like to get it connected. Thank you for taking the time to respond. If you could just lead me to the posts where you describe setting up the 1212m; I'd greatly appreciate it. I hope some day to know even just a small portion of what you evidently know. I've been playing guitar for 42 years; I just am so new to these pro sound cards. Thanks again.
John Sr.

johntheson. i'm sorry i refer you to searching.
but i'm tired of getting attacked by a few individuals on this bbs.
when i'm trying to post affordable low cost solutions to newbies.
some of these people have accused me of working for music companies which is not true .( i'm just a computer engr and songwriter with my own studio.) and generally impugning my integrity. so you must appreciate i get kind of ticked off. these same people then want me to post to newbies to use the search function more. so to keep peace on here thats what i'm doing.
the nub of it all is that many people spend a lot of money on their daw,
and dont seem to like me posting lower cost solutions to do the same thing.
if i post what software i use i get attacked.
i'm just sick of it. and sadly your caught in the middle.
i'm just trying to keep the peace.

Searching under Mannings name is one option, but a better one would be to search using what product you're looking for:

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/search.php?searchid=156796

This above will bring up results for the EMU 1212m. It looks like the 1212m has two analog outputs on it. You will need to use the outputs and run into some kind of amplifier or amplified speakers. Don't know what kind of computer speakers you have, or if they will even work with what you're using. You took a step up in soundcards with the EMU, and it's just a little different to set up.

There's no need to paint the "victim" portrait anymore Manning...we all get it. :rolleyes: You're making this place appear "mean" to some new people, and it really isn't. The only reason johntheson would be "caught in the middle" here is because YOU are putting him there.

Thank you

Manning1,warble, and Ethan Winer,
I'm obviously not in the loop about what has happened before I got here, but I want to thank all you guys for trying to steer me in the right direction. Manning1 I know what it's like having to answer many peoples questions; I've been trying to help people get their computers up and running, long before the days of easy plug and play, and the "just follow the prompts" O/S installs. I just had to remind myself that what was old hat for me , was actually alien for some people . I really feel quite inadequate trying to get up to speed with the computer recording world. I don't want to put anyone out, or have them get hacked on just for trying to help me. I guess what it boils down to for me is; even though I repeated myself over and over with the same computer troubleshooting tips, and instructions while trying to help others; the thing that always left me dumbfounded is the cases where people just bailed right in on something and really dug themselves a deep deep hole, and then wanted to ask for the help that would have saved them all that needless trouble they created. They always wish they could go back and ask the needed questions. Especially for stuff like a motherboard flash gone bad. I'm 51 years old, and I am not up on computer recording quite like I wished I was. I can probably help out plenty about how to set up for playing guitar; it's just recording it that I need to learn to do well. Anyway; thank you all for responding. God bless.
John Sr.
Ethan. Thanks for the link. I'm going to read it through.

Excellent information

Ethan,
I just read some of your sites material. May I say for newcomers such as myself;Thank you. Even though I'm still a little unsure of the exact connection with my particular equipment; I leaned more about the overall process than I have learned in all the combined material I've previously read. I have just one more question, after which I believe I can actually be up and running. If you had this same equipment as I'm listing; how would you connect just 1 guitar, and then 1 set of 2.1 Cambridge digital speakers. This will allow mw the enjoyment to get started. If you have a site that you except donations for a cause of any kind; I will gladly contribute. Thank you for your time, and I ask you to excuse what may appear as ignorance.
Equipment:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/631238/
and
the 1212 m
and rout it so as to use headphones. What cables do you recommend for this situation?
Thank you for your valuable time Ethan. I was blown away when I saw references to who I was actually corresponding with. I'm now going to read all the listed articles on your site.
John Sr.

Back