Setup for recording concert band or orchestra

lowrbd

I'm looking for a good setup for recording concert band, orchestra, vocal ensembles, etc. Portability is the key, as the work will be done in whatever concert hall the group reserves for performances. A four-input device is probably plenty, as I would likely only need two mics, at least as a basic setup.

I've considered using a small minidisc device to record and then edit/master at home, but I'm concerned about the limitations and lack of monitoring capability during recording. A laptop with a USB audio device such as the M-Audio interface? I already have a 1GHz PIII laptop I could employ. Or would a standalone digital recording studio, such as the Korg D1600, be a better solution?

Any and all recommendations are welcome. The benefits of one alternative over another would be a major plus!!! I am on a budget, but I would rather spend money on a solid setup that would allow be to create a good product for customers, and possibly allow me to expand and upgrade in the future, than settle on a cheap solution.

Thanks,
Brian

well... it's not completely set, yet, until I know what I really need. Lets say $1000 to $2500 -- sorry I can't be more specific, but I'm trying to create a proposal which includes necessary equipment before I lock down the budget.

Back