setup comparison

Steve Tittle

You may have to get yourself a board in order to get the inputs you want. Once you really get into it you'll even find out that 8 inputs aren't enough. The drums alone can burn up at least 8 then you have the rest of the band.

Right on Steve! When will there ever be enough tracks? As soon as you get 8, you need 16. Then 24! It's the eternal struggle of the home recording technician.

Hi, I'm a newbie at this whole digital recording thing. i've spent the last 3 or 4 days doing research and reading posts, and I've come down to 2 possible sound cards I might want.

1. Aark Direct pro 24/96

2. gadgetlabs wave 8/24

I'm trying to decide, since I usually just record by myself, and the aark has more onboard features i would use (real time compression, phantom power etc...) but I have been known to record with bands, and 4 inputs just isn't enough with that.

On the other hand, I like having 8 inputs with the gadgetlabs, and it is about $70 cheaper, but then I have to get a mic preamp and compressor for quality.

In the end, I'm leaning towards the aark direct pro, but I am concerned about trying to record a band with this card. Any suggestions on what I would need to do this or any other comments?

thanks
-stranger233

Don't forget that many of these boards will support multiples in one computer ie. you can put three gadgetlabs 824's inot a computer for a total of 24 ins and outs. I'm not sure is the Aark card does it. The website will say.

- gaffa

The Aardvark website dosen't say, so that means that they probably dont! (maybe though but I think they'd say if you could) The Gadget labs 8/24 dosen't support 96K- it only goes up to 48! What's up with that?? I'm looking at either a Aark 24 or the Delta 66. I was drooling over the Aark 24 for a while but I will probably go with the 66. The main reason is the over $300 price difference. The 66 only has 4 analog inputs, but if I get, say, a digital mixer, or the dbx 3?? dual mic pre with S/PDIF out (this is very likely) or even a Apogge converter (very unlikly $$$)then I could have 6 inputs. And you can have more than one 66 for more inputs for sure.

-jhe

Sweet... once I get all my computer stuff straight, i'm definitly going to look into one of those babys. (this maybe a long while though :()

hey doc which Rodent's do you have? 1 or 2?

-jhe

Actually, the aark website says you can put up to 4 direct pros into the same computer (it's in the faq section, hidden away). I tend to do most of my recording with dymanic mics, not condensers... in that case, do I even really need the mic preamps at this stage?

-stranger233

JHE: A pair of NT-1's.
Stranger: And S8-N always used a set of demonic mics duct taped to one stand...
I think a decent preamp will help out any mic. But if your card already has decent preamps built in, then an outboard pre will probably be a waste.

Ok, I think I'm set on the aark direct pro... it seems to be the best option per dollar at the present time... So where is the cheapest place to get one? Right now the lowest I've found is 569 at directproaudio.com...

Back