Setting up my headphone-amp (Pt2)

justwantyou2kno

I have an Alesis 12R mixer, a Delta 1010, and I'm going to buy a Behringer HA8000 headphone amp. I will take a 8 channel snake and connect inserts 1-8 from my mixer into ins 1-8 on the delta. Then I will take another 8 channel snake and take outputs 1 & 2 from the delta in the stereo channel of my mixer, and take outputs 3-8 in the insert channels on the headphone-amp. Then a whill take a main out of my mixer and connect it to the main in on the headphone-amp. Thus giving the headphone amp a stereo feed controllable my the faders of my mixer, and 6 channels of independent control based on what channel your on.

What I need to know is if that is just a dumb plan? If I should get TRS or TS snakes? Should I have my delta set up to +4/-10?

Thanks for any help
Nick

Main outputs or bus outputs are mostly balaIanced, so you can use TRS. If your using your inserts, you won't need TRS but TS, as they mostly are unbalanced outputs. I think it's not a bad Idea, though I personally choose to use my aux on my mixer for monitoring.

btw, headphone monitoring is not so critical, so it won't cause that much harm if you use unbalanced signals for that ...

greetz

So I should set all the ins and outs to +4? Because I was thinking I'd use balanced cables to bring outs 1&2 into the mixer. So should I set up all the ins and outs to -10 and outs 1&2 to +4? Or theother way around? Or does it not matter?

If you are using the inserts on your mixer to send the individual channels to the Delta then there won't be any signal on the mixers main outs to send to the headphone amp.

If your mixer has direct outs then use those instead. That way you still have a signal going through the board to send to the HA. Use the Aux sends to feed the headphone amp if you want to control how much of each track is sent.

TexRoadkill said:
If you are using the inserts on your mixer to send the individual channels to the Delta then there won't be any signal on the mixers main outs to send to the headphone amp.

I had just thought of that, but I can get around that by taking the outs 1&2 from the delta to my mixers ins 9&10. I can control how loud each track is in CEP. So therefore I can control my "main mix" of instruments with the mixer and computer (it's not as easy as I'd like, but it much better then my set-up now, so I don't mind)

All I need to know is info based on unbalanced and balanced and what to set the delta to (+4/ -10)

Thanks for the help, and more is very welcome.

Back