Setting up DAW?

arc76

Hi,

I would just like to know the "ideal" way to setup my current equipment configuration so i can record a decent demo, since i am new to this.My equipment is as follows:

Mesa triple recto
4x12 cab
Korg x-3 synth
shure sm-57
senn e825s
Behringer mx602a (4ch mixer)
Steinberg Project pack(20bit 2in/2out audio card and cubasis vst software)
P2 350mhz,64meg ram,8.4gighd

Looking to lay multiple guitar tracks down, then add drums/add'l instruments with the x-3.The current soundcard doesn't have midi cabability.How would you recommend i hook all this up,i'm lost!.Do i need add'l equip?

Looks like you've got the analog input covered. I would want at least another 64MB of RAM (or more- it's CHEAP) & a second hard disk (7200RPM) for the puter. Sorry, I don't do MIDI so I can't help you out there.

Since you only have 2 inputs on your soundcard you can track one at a time or if multitracking use your mixer. As far as midi goes, you said you have no interface on the current card which we dont know what card that is, but if you also still have your system stock card like a soundblaster, this should have midi connects and can be used along with your recording card with no real problems.

Re:Setting up DAW

Thanks for the input so far,
Stealth-the audio card i am using is 20 bit w/2 analog in/out and 1 digital output. I purchased it along with Cubasis VST ver.3.7(Project Pack).My original card was a soundblaster 128.I would like to take advantage of having both soundcards installed so i can use the midi in of the sb card but how do i go about doing that?will i have any conflicts between the two cards?I have a Korg x-3 synth that i would like to connect to the sb via midi, The cubasis vst software includes a virtual bass and virtual drums.Would i be able to take advantage of those instruments by using my synth as the controller?Do i need a midi interface for that?Cabling?

Sorry about all the questions-just trying to get it all together.

As long as you have a free IRQ you should'nt have conflicts. Sometimes you have to force a device to not share an IRQ, but you wont know till ya try it. Did you remove the SB from your system? The VST's or virtual instruments in cubase can be controlled from your midi keyboard. You will also have a bank of GM soundfonts with your SB that can also be used and controlled from your keys.
When you use your midi interface from the SB you can look in your multimedia settings to set this interface active, and you may have to look in cubase as well for these settings.

Back