Setting up and monitoring using an audio interface into Cakewalk

Kenny202

Total newb to home recording so a lot of stupid questions will ensue
I am using a Focusrite Scarlett solo into Windows 10 Cakewalk latest version.

Just wondering how I monitor? Preferably from the computer to bluetooth monitors / headphones.
I set up my mic this morning and did a few tests and I can see the signal on the cakewalk monitor so there is an input signal to the computer.
If I plug my headphones into the Solo I can hear my voice in the mic, but if headphones unplugged no sound through the computer.

1) How does this all work. When recording through the Focusrite solo / Cakewalk should I be able to hear the sound on the computer monitors or only through the Focusrite RCA outputs / headphones?

2) Is there anyway to adjust this or select?

3) Should I have the direct monitor switch on my Focusrite to off or on?

I did a test recording on Cakewalk and played it back through my headphones plugged into the Focusrite. Sound was pretty scratchy / distorted.
I have the gain set on about middle and meters not going into the red. I normally set gain by setting the meter to be just peaking into the red zone when talking / shouting loudly. Is that correct?

Any help / advice appreciated.

I have not used Cakewalk for a number of years but most DAWs follow the same connection regime. You should be able to find the Blue Tooth 'device' as a playback option. That said, I find BT bloody infuriating! I have a Ugreen BT audio converter and it WILL not talk to this Lenovo W10 laptop. My Samsung smartphone finds it easily. A Blackstar Tone Link just works on everything nay bother.

Then, BT is not the HIGHEST of Fi? I would not want it in a quality critical monitoring chain...FORK! some folks don't even like 'studio grade' op amps in there!

Do the speakers have RCA phono inputs? If so use those with the Solo (which I think is also RCA out?) If not, you might have to eschew the Focusrite drivers and just use the AI as a 'generic USB audio device' and use Windows drivers.

Dave.

The Solo has RCA outputs, and I can plug into it with my head phones, but I'd prefer the sound to be coming via the computer. Maybe it doesn't work like that? There is no BT on the Solo

The Solo has RCA outputs, and I can plug into it with my head phones, but I'd prefer the sound to be coming via the computer. Maybe it doesn't work like that? There is no BT on the Solo
I am confused. If you have an external interface you monitor everything through that. NOT the PC soundcard. The RCA sockets should go to the BT speakers IF they are so equipped. If not then you either need different/better speakers* or find a way to use the Solo via the PC's BT system but that is really a half baked, lower quality option.

*The Presonus Eris 3.5 speakers are really pretty good for the money.

Dave.

You absolutely do NOT want to use your computer's sound system - on a grands worth of computer, the audio components are probably worth as much as a Big Mac Meal - really - they're not designed for quality audio, but your new interface is - It handles ALL your audio from now on. Whatever speakers, amps etc you use connect to it - no longer your computer.

Sorry for my stupid questions. I am probably missing the basics here. I thought the interface was to convert an analogue signal to a computer compatible digital signal? I can connect speakers or headphones to the Solo. I just thought the finished sound would be coming from the computer end.

I did a little test vocal track before and I can hear sound through both headphones (L&R) when recording), but seems to play back in mono? Is that right?
Are there any effects on Cakewalk for vocals like delay etc?

You absolutely do NOT want to use your computer's sound system - on a grands worth of computer, the audio components are probably worth as much as a Big Mac Meal - really - they're not designed for quality audio, but your new interface is - It handles ALL your audio from now on. Whatever speakers, amps etc you use connect to it - no longer your computer.
I think you are being overgenerous Rob. Sound card chip more like $0.5!

Dave.

Sorry for my stupid questions. I am probably missing the basics here. I thought the interface was to convert an analogue signal to a computer compatible digital signal? I can connect speakers or headphones to the Solo. I just thought the finished sound would be coming from the computer end.

I did a little test vocal track before and I can hear sound through both headphones (L&R) when recording), but seems to play back in mono? Is that right?
Are there any effects on Cakewalk for vocals like delay etc?
No, you can connect speakers AND headphones (unless the Solo is unlike any AI I have ever seen or read about!) The stumbling block seems to be the BT speakers. What are they? Make and model, better a link to manual. I very much doubt they are devoid of ANY analogue input? Might be 3.5mm jack and probably only into one speaker, the other just connected by a twin, speaker level cable.

A single voice IS relentlessly mono, you need two mics for stereo. Or, do you mean you only get your voice in one ear? That too is what one would expect from a two channel interface. IIRC the Solo has MIC ch1 Instrument ch2. Effects? !! You better tell us all what exactly you are wanting to produce!

Dave.

I am just recording a test vocal. I thought I would get a sound on both sides of the earphones. If there is only mono recording that's fine too as long as I know.
Obviously I have no clue feeling my way along here.

As far as the sound module....like I said before I thought it was just a converter type thing for computer input but it is more than that? It is also a sound card type thing too? So the signal goes into the computer through Cakewalk and back out to the Solo? So it is not only an input is an output as well?
Sorry again, be a good place to start if I can understand the role of the audio interface

What about getting some sort of delay on Cakewalk? Do they have any onboard effects?

Don't worry too much about the blue tooth speakers. They are my computer speakers that's all. Mid range nothing special. If I have to monitor from the Solo with head cans or out to my PA I can do that too. Not after super high fidelity or anything just yet. Just doing some backing tracks. If I get more serious about it will invest in some decent monitors.

Last edited:
Ok, if you delve into Cakewalk you might find a "Mono Mix" option that records one input on both tracks, L&R. I can do that in Samplitude but I am sure you can turn a mono track into 'double mono' with Cakewalk post tracking?

"Just my computer speakers" Yes, ok fine but IF they have RCA inputs you can use them for all your listening needs...There's tidy?

Dave.

Remember too, that anything you record to your DAW is a mono file, but you can place them with the PAN control. Record 3 vocals, put one full left, one full right and one centered and you get stereo. Each channel can be placed anywhere in the soundfield with the pan control.

One issue I have run into with Bluetooth speakers is that they introduce a tiny delay. If you are just playing back, it's no big deal if the playback is 20 ms late, but if you are trying to record two guitars and add a vocal, you will find that your tracks won't line up.

As far as the sound module....like I said before I thought it was just a converter type thing for computer input but it is more than that? It is also a sound card type thing too? So the signal goes into the computer through Cakewalk and back out to the Solo? So it is not only an input is an output as well?
The interface converts analog to digital on the way in to the computer, and converts digital to analog on the way out. It is designed to allow simultaneous recording and playback, and has higher quality specifications than generic onboard sound modules.

Your interface now becomes the audio centre of your system: you record through it and you listen to stuff through it (either via speakers or headphones).

The interface will allow you to listen to what's being recorded, or to what has been recorded and is being played back, or a mixture of both, either with a physical knob or via software control.

Back