Setting up an in store kiosk... Promo Idea.

Jhae

For our upcoming EP release I plan on making my rounds around to every record store in the region and asking if I can set up a small kiosk on their counter.

It would look something like this...

http://www.cardboarddisplays.com/images/New12InchSingleTierMediumLeftr.jpg

...filled with our cd's of course. I would decorate the box with our indy label's stickers, and put a big FREE on the box. Now I know a lot of stores would be weary of doing something like this, but we plan on bargaining with the clerks with free stuff, t-shirts and such.... Secondly, I'd get the clerks phone number and keep a running database on the amount of CD's that were left in the kiosk on a regular basis, refilling them as necessary.

I think this would be a good way to get exposure, what do you guys think, any suggestions, experiences with this sort of thing? Lemme know!

That's cool... but you might want to aim more specifically at a target audience.

For example; say you're playing a coffee shop gig in the next month... Why not offer the shop to put your free cd kiosk up there prior to playing so that you can target people that will be more apt to come to the show.

You should also work on the release of an LP so that people who get the EP free and like it will make a purchase on a full length.. have the EP just be a teaser..

Also, check out ChristopherM's new site if you haven't www.indieshout.com . It's really showing a lot of promise, a haven for indie artists. You can plug your website or material on the forum there and maybe get a review on the homepage. It's just in it's beginning stages but I really think that it will become a well visited site with very active forums.

What label are you on currently? Don't they handle the distribution for you? Or is it your own label? A lot of good smaller labels will see to it that you get press and reviews in genre specific magazines, or webzines.

It's my own label, so me and a buddy are running the whole shebang. The EP is a semi compilation of sorts featuring artists on our roster (all 4 of us). I'm pretty ambitious when it comes to this sort of thing (promotion), I've done PR work for a few magazines in the past, so I think I may still have what it takes to make sure our material gets reviewed in local webzines, and magazines. You offered some good advice, I'll definitely check out indieshout. Gotta keep my network and pimphand strong :-)

free compilation cd's

... most stores will let you put free comp cd's on the tables by the free zines and flyers for sure. you may have to bargain a bit to get them onto the counters. there are many well known labels that have dibs on those spots for their free promo cd's. i'd be happy to put some out for you in portland music stores, if you make it out this way. it's on my route anyway, when i drop off product.
go for it kiddo... best of luck.
peace - jv

earthboundrec said:
Also, check out ChristopherM's new site if you haven't www.indieshout.com . It's really showing a lot of promise, a haven for indie artists. You can plug your website or material on the forum there and maybe get a review on the homepage. It's just in it's beginning stages but I really think that it will become a well visited site with very active forums.
Thanks for the props on the site!

As far as free publicity, there's a forum heading there just to plug your website and another for gig announcements. Every post is another result in a Google search for both YOU and Indie Shout!

I'm currently working on the next update, which will be posted Sunday night.

Re: free compilation cd's

johneeeveee said:
... most stores will let you put free comp cd's on the tables by the free zines and flyers for sure. you may have to bargain a bit to get them onto the counters. there are many well known labels that have dibs on those spots for their free promo cd's. i'd be happy to put some out for you in portland music stores, if you make it out this way. it's on my route anyway, when i drop off product.
go for it kiddo... best of luck.
peace - jv

I'll keep that in mind for sure. If you need a favor returned just ask.

hey jhae,
if ya don't mind me asking, where are you and your band based out of? if i have some contacts their, i'll try to pass them along. also, what kind of music are you and your labelmates putting out?
take care - jv

Jhae said:
Yes, I will eat the cost to get my name out there. By any means necesarry.

Woah... Good idea and all, but just a suggestion: We tried something similar in like 1987 when I was playing with CruxSater.... We ran into a couple store owners who had the "What's in it for me" attitude... so I told them this:

"OK Tell you what... don't give em away for free.... You've already heard the music and you say you like it, so I'll give you 50 disks for free and you sell em for whatever you want. I think $5.00 would be fair... and if you play us over the PA I'm sure someone will ask who it is and maybe buy one."

Since this deal was 100% profit for him he sold every one of them ... and charged $10.00ea. Use greed ... it's an excellent motivator.

BTW: Back then it cost us about $6.00 / CD to produce... including artwork etc. And we had to buy a minimum of 1000 / per run. We gave away about 300 promoting our "summer party plan" which was to basicly play every venue in the Windsor Detroit area that would have us. We then sold the rest of the CDs along with T-Shirts and posters at every gig... At the end of all of it we were up about $7000.00 total. Which of course we spent on better gear....

- Tanlith -

I work in a computer store and I'm willing to put your kiosk on the front counter if you wanna send it to me and I would personnaly make sure that it goes in good hands. I'm in montreal tho. If you're interested, just let me know.

Back