Setting up a new studio on a budget

patlang12

For the past two years I've been lucky to have a good setup for recording practicing. My room is large, has hardwood floors and is a corner house. There is some sound leakage (low end) but we don't have issues with the neighbors even when we play late. Best of all I think the room sounds real nice. Unfortunately it looks like I'll be moving out of this house and into a house where I'll have to set up a studio in the garage.

I've done a lot of reading around the forum and elsewhere but I'm still not really sure how I should try to treat the garage. My main concern is to reduce the sound leakage so we can use it often as a rehearsal space. I'd like to record in there too, but my budget is limited to around $600 so I want to focus on the leakage primarily. The house will be a rental and it is likely we will only be there for one year. I think the main issue is going to be treating the garage door. I don't need it to be able to open, but I'm not sure how well I can really stop sound going through without major construction that I doubt would be allowed. In addition to the budget I have 6 or 7 panels of 2 inch thick 703 (4x6 I think), about 10 2x4s and a few sheets of plywood. Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

You can't soundproof a garage for $600. I'm not being pessimistic here, it's just plain impossible, especially for the level of sound a band rehearsal is gonna produce. Drums and bass carry forever as you probably know. You need mass - 2 layers of drywall all the way around, with some green glue or whatever its called in between. But no landlord is gonna let you wall up the garage door, and you're right, thats gonna be the weak link by a longshot. Even if you had 10 layers of drywall on the other 3 walls, sound is gonna go right out that door. A garage door is so thin, there's nothing there, it's practically a giant open hole in the wall. Move your rehearsal anywhere else in the house. For $600, I'd throw a big party and get cool with your neighbors and negotiate some terms so they dont bitch about the noise.

question

I don't mean to butt in; but I would like to know where to start at because i just moved into a townhome and want to record my mixtape. I have a large walk in closet, however it has metal railing in it that may be detachable. Where is the best place to find affordable isolation and what should i get? I will be recording rnb and rap music. Thanks

Back