Setting Music Equipment & Mixer Levels?

Phreesoal

Hey Forum!

Ok......just picked up a Yamaha MG12/4 mixing board. I currently have my Roland JD-800 keyboard connected and will soon connect a dual CD player to it (DJ type of CD player). From there, maybe a drum machine and other equipment down the line.

My question is, what should I set my equipment and mixer channel levels to when equipment is connected to a mixing board? I'm new at using this type of mixer but I desire to learn how it works. More importantly, I want to know how not to damage any equipment & mixers because of improper volume level use.

Specifically, I'm looking to know:

-Should I have the levels on all equipment itself set half way, maxed or some other level? (In other words, should I push the master volume all the way up on each piece of equipment, like my keyboard, etc.?)

-What volume levels should I have set on the mixing board channels where my equipment is connected? (I'm just wondering if there's a safe zone or "standard" channel volume setting?)

Thanks in advance........ ;)

Phree

Usually you would set the instrument's volume level to about 80%. For the instructions on how to set your mixer levels please consult your manual. They probably have a step by step guide. If you don't have a manual go to www.Mackie.com and download one of their manuals. They have some great instructions and hook up diagrams and all mixers essentially function the same way.

Hi Tex and thanks for the info!

Like you advised, I've started reading through the Yammy mixer manual and know a bit more now about setting levels.

There were a couple of things mentioned that I didn't understand, but I'll read it again. If I still don't get it, I'll post back on where I'm having a brain fart!!!

Phree

Let us know whatever doesn't make sense. I would still recomend checking out the mackie manuals. They explain a lot of the overall process very well and they have some great diagrams for hooking up to recorders, instruments and processors.

I'll definitely check out the Mackie manuals.

The one thing I'm trying to grasp right now is item 2. in the "Level Setup Procedure For Optimum Performance" section listed below:

1. Start by setting all level controls to their minimum. Do not apply EQ, effects or dynamic processors at this point.
  2. Apply the source signal to each channel one at a time. Have singers sing, players play and playback devices play back at the loudest expect level. Gradually turn up the input Gain control while the signal is being applied to the corresponding channel until the peak indicator begins to flash, then back off a little so that the peak indicator flashes only occassionally. Repeat this for each active channel.
  3. Raise your master fader(s) - and group faders if available - to their nominal levels (this will be "0" markings on the fader scale).
  4. Now, with all sources playing, you can raise the channel faders and set up an initial mix.

About item 2:

First question is, what exactly is the source signal?

Second question, when applying the source signal, where am I listening to this source to know the loudest expected level and how much Gain to apply? Am I listening with the PFL feature on each channel in my headphones before sending the signal out or some other way???

I assume that I'm not listening to these sources on any external speakers/monitors since item 3 tells me to raise the master/group faders, then item 4 tells me to finally raise the channel faders. These two steps come after I'm told to apply the signal source and turn up the gain on it. Before reading this, I was immediately raising the channel fader on my keyboard without doing what was suggested prior to raising the channel fader.

Maybe you can clarify this for me or direct me?

Thanks,
Phree

1. A source signal is the instrument you are putting through the board. If your drum machine is connected to channel 1, then the source signal is your drum machine.

2. I don't have a mackie, but typically you can hear your signal through the master bus. My mixer's headphone out is controlled by the master bus faders. Since the master faders control a combined signal (as opposed to individual channels), you will be able to hear the effects produced by manipulating the channel faders. Raise the master faders, and you will be able to hear the combined sum of the actions of the channel faders at a louder volume.

Hope this helps,

Cy

Hey Cy!

Thanks for explaining this.

I was thinking that I'd want to listen some other way (headphones) to the source signal when applying the gain before sending out to the master.

I'm getting the hang of it and thanks everyone for your help and patience. :)

Phree

When you hit the PFL button it will show just that channel (or any others that have PFL engaged) in the meters. That way you can set the input gain for that channel without worrying about the master fader or other instruments affecting the meter reading.

Typically for live PA use the master fader should be as close to 0 as possible for best signal to noise ratio. If you are recording it is best to use the channel Direct Out or Insert to send that individual channel to your recorder/soundcard. In that case the Master fader is just for monitoring so you can set it to whatever volume is comfortable.

Thanks Tex!

About recording, is that advice only for recording individual instruments? I was under the impression that I should go from my REC OUT connection to the LINE-IN of my soundcard for recording.

Or, am I misunderstanding this?

Phree

If you want to record everything on the mixer than you are doing it correctly. Once you have recorded a track and want to add another track you won't want to send everything back to the soundcard. That is because you need to hear what you have already recorded and what you are currently recording but you want to just send the current track back into the soundcard.

If you take the output of your soundcard and plug it into a channel on your mixer you will be able to easily mix the live mic with the tracks you have already recorded for easy monitoring. You then use the Direct Out or Insert to send that live track into the soundcard.

Back