Set-up Question - Tech says fret buzz is unavoidable

gmiller1122

Addled but happy
I recently took my Reverand Rocco to a guitar shop b/c the strings were buzzing near the 1-4 frets. The tech. said there wasn't much he could do with it after he loosened the neck as much as possible. There is less buzzing, but it's still there on some frets and some strings.

He said raising the saddles at the bridge or raising the nut would only raise the action, and not solve the problem of fret buzz. When I asked about filing the frets, he said that wouldn't help either.

I bought the guitar with flatwound 12s. There was no fret buzz. It was only after I replaced them with roundwound 10s that the buzzing began. The tech said that some guitars are designed for heavier gauge strings. This puts more tension on the neck, he explained.

On one hand, I trust the guy b/c he has a good reputation, and I don't know much myself. On the other hand, his explanation seems strange.

Any insight into this? Has anyone had a similar experience? Thanks.

Z

I would think once the guitar stabilizes from the change from 12s to10s, it should be possible to set it up properly. It may take some work, but I think "impossible" isn't the right word to use.

It's possible, though improbable in a $1000 guitar, that the truss rod adjustment isn't enough to take the back bow out of the neck, and that the added tension of the heavier gauge strings does the job.

Anyway, I think you need a second opinion.

also, be sure the intonation of the guitar has been checked due to string gage change. 12's to 10's would make a difference. make sure you check that the harmonics at the 12 fret match exacly the fretted note at the 12th fret on the same string by using your tuner,eg.(hit the harmonic on the top string, it should hold an E without much waver, then fret the 12 fret E, it should hold at E with out any wavering). you may have to shorten or lenthen the strings by adjusting the saddles which will affect fret buzz, probably will get rid of it.

if your fretted note is going sharp then adjust the saddle to make the string longer, and keep rechecking until it holds that E. If your fretted note is going flat, then make the string shorter, again until it hold that E without waver. then do it to all your stings.

once you have that in check, then you may need to adjust your neck again a little to get the action the way you want, but not too much or you'll have to do the above all over again.

maybe this is your problem and maybe it isnt. but at least check it out. it may help you. remember no wavering on your tuner, make sure the fretted notes hold that note solid.

again, check this because it will change your sting tension and heighth, which may help your original problem.

ps, ive found most guitar sales people absolutely hate setting up guitars for other people, as a result they just kinda get it close, but usually not right. think of how many times you've picked up a guitar at a store and its always out of tune, or has old stings on it, is out of intonation. just my opinion, and my experience. i alway do my own set up, cause im the only one that can make me happy in that area. ;) \

peace dog

Have another tech check your guitar!!!! I don't know the guy you were dealing with but it sounds like he is either too lazy to do the work or lacks the ability. While it is true that heavier strings tend to buzz less, that is not the option you seem to be looking for. Buzzing in one area of the fretboard might well be due to fret wear or improperly seated fret(s), either way a good tech can properly level the frets and eliminate the buzz. It could be that the tech just didn't want to spend the time nessassary to do the job because fret work can be time consuming while setting intonation is a quick easy job. (Especialy if he gets paid per set up)

A second opinion is a MUST!!! If it is only buzzing in the first few frets, and you went from a set of 12's to 10's, it might be due to the nut slots having been worn in with a set of 12's, and are now too deeply grooved for the thinner strings. I'd look at that first with a different tech. Just my .02. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

SteveK said:
A second opinion is a MUST!!! If it is only buzzing in the first few frets, and you went from a set of 12's to 10's, it might be due to the nut slots having been worn in with a set of 12's, and are now too deeply grooved for the thinner strings. I'd look at that first with a different tech. Just my .02. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

steves theory seems highly probable. if it is the case, it probably wont be too terribly deep and they shouldn't even have to cut you a new nut, they can add to it with a mixture of a certain super glue and baking soda.

also, lots of techs (or really anyone doing work for you for that matter) good or bad will tell you b.s. to get out of doing work they don't like to do.....and working with frets is something techs don't seem to like very much.

Not trying to hijack or anything, but this seems to speak to his question as well...

What would be good resources for those of us who are wanting to learn about how to set up our guitars and evaluate problems like this? I can, of course, do a search as well as the next guy, but are there some specific places to go that would be good quality resources?

Thanks a ton!

steves theory seems highly probable. if it is the case, it probably wont be too terribly deep and they shouldn't even have to cut you a new nut, they can add to it with a mixture of a certain super glue and baking soda.

also, lots of techs (or really anyone doing work for you for that matter) good or bad will tell you b.s. to get out of doing work they don't like to do.....and working with frets is something techs don't seem to like very much.

A friend mentioned the nut groove theory as well, but it doesn't seem that would make for buzzing on only certain frets.

The b.s. theory sounds more likely :(

I have emailed the manufacturer (apparently they are quick to respond), so I'll see what they say. Also, there's a new tech in town, so maybe he'll be more likely to tackle the fret work, if that's what is needed.

Thanks for the insight so far, everyone.

gmiller1122 said:
A friend mentioned the nut groove theory as well, but it doesn't seem that would make for buzzing on only certain frets.
I don't see that the nut grooves would affect anything other than the open string on the first fret. Once you fret a string, the nut is out of the picture, and you have neck bow, fret height and saddle height to deal with.

If you fret a string at both the first and 14th fret, the neck should have at least enough relief (concave bow) that you can slip a piece of paper or thin cardboard between the sixth or seventh fret and the string.

Here's a great explanation of the process:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=132197

Eureka!

I contacted Joe Naylor at Reverend guitars, and he got back to me (withing 24 hours!). He said that the Rocco neck has a two-way truss rod, which can adjust in both directions. "If you keep turning it counter-clockwise it will start to add relief (forward bow) to the neck."

He said the tech. "probably hit the neutral zone, which feels loose, like the end of the adjustment range on a conventional one-way rod." So, the tech. gave up.

When I gave the truss rod a 1/2 turn counter-clockwise, I could feel the tension increase, and now the problem is solved. Can't tell you how relieved I am. Onto recording.... :D thanks again, guys, for your feedback.

G

mjareo said:
Not trying to hijack or anything, but this seems to speak to his question as well...

What would be good resources for those of us who are wanting to learn about how to set up our guitars and evaluate problems like this? I can, of course, do a search as well as the next guy, but are there some specific places to go that would be good quality resources?

Thanks a ton!
http://www.projectguitar.com/

scrubs said:

hey scrubsy.. I gotta tell you, every time i read your catch phrase i just about cough up a lung laughing :) :D :D

it reminds me of that adam sandler and chris farley skit on sat night live where they are dressed up like a old married couple looking through a catalog.

have a good long weekend you guys !!!!!!!

metalj said:
hey scrubsy.. I gotta tell you, every time i read your catch phrase i just about cough up a lung laughing :) :D :D

it reminds me of that adam sandler and chris farley skit on sat night live where they are dressed up like a old married couple looking through a catalog.

have a good long weekend you guys !!!!!!!

Glad you like it. It's a quote from Futurama.

Back