Set-up propsal suggestions

stealth_prod

Set-up Suggestions??

So im not technically a newbie but I still have some questions. Im am in the process of building my project studio in my basement and am still going back and forth on what equipment to buy. I have a $2000 budget and I already own a decent set of monitors, microphone (though could be better), and computer specifically built for this.

I have done a ton of research but I still can't decide on which set up to run with. I am PC based just so you know.

I dont plan on any heavy multi-tracking. The studio is mostly for producing and recording at most 4-6 tracks at a time. All I really need is a good interface that allows both audio and MIDI and a good but budget single or dual channel preamp. Some interfaces come with software but if they dont then I would need it.

The first set-up config I was wondering about is a firewire setup:

M-Audio Project Mix: http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--MDOPROJECTIO I do like the idea of a control surface to maybe help mixing. I like being hands on instead of mouse work.

M Powered Pro Tools.

M-Audio DMP3 Dual Mic Pre and Direct Box

2nd: PCI based

Echo Layla 3G 8-Channel PCI Audio Interface

Cubase

ART Tube MP Studio V3

Again these are just my ideas. If anyone has any input on these setups please let me know. I dont want to use USB and I dont have a DAW preference so any knowledge on this would be helpful. If I forgot to add anything please ask and I will more then gladly answer. Thank you.

Last edited:
I think a control surface sounds great in the beginning, esp. if you're used to mixing on hardware. I was looking hard at em, cuz I was afraid to make the leap, but now that I did, I can say that I really like mixing in Cubase. The automation is easy to set, and really, I'm never trying to move a buncha faders at once anyway.. So personally, for me, I'd say the control surface isn't worth it. A presonus Firestudio has 8 pres, midi, phantom, 8 line outs, pretty much everything you'd need. You can also add another firestudio later on if you need more channels, I've heard the same about some MOTU units. The Echo Layla only has 2 pres, so that's kind of a dealbreaker imo.

And you'll save a ton of $$ over the control surface, so you can get a nice pre for your gold channel, so I think you'd get more bang for your buck. What pre? Idk, I dont have an outboard pre. I got a friend with a Presonus Eureka who makes pro sounding recordings in his band's studio, that's the best sounding pre I have 1st hand knowledge of. I'm sure there's a ton of great pre's in that price range, but I can't say any are better or worse.

And no, I dont work for presonus :D They just make good stuff. If I had $2k and no gear, I'd get a Firestudio and Cubase SX, and I'd take a good long hard look at every pre I could find. Of course I'd also allocate a few hundred to a new mic or 2 cuz mine sux, but I digress......

stelthprob dude if your gona propos you should cock some lame and than you can put the ring in the potatos lol but seriusly you want to mack sure she doesnt eat the ring lol becuse she will get sick lol

Yeah I didnt understand most of that but thanks for the reply I guess.

@suprstar

I have been thinking about that control surface for a while to. I think the appeal is more look than neccesity. I was looking at the firestudio also. I did like the options with it. It makes more sense to go the firestudio way because it comes with cubase anyway. I have tried a variety of different software and I did planned on going the cubase way if I had to purchase one.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it alot.

Yeah I didnt understand most of that but thanks for the reply I guess.

Yeah, it kinda looks like english, but that cock, potatos, ring, and sick part threw me off...... So how's the acid in your area andy?? Great eh, good..

Anyway, it comes with Cubase LE, which is fine AFTER you get the patch. LE only records 4 tracks at a time out of the box, the patch increases it to 8, which is the whole firepod, so scratch my suggestion for SX, you wont even need that! You'll have a ton o $ left over for goodies!

Back