Set up/ help recording vocals

bone

Hi all,
I was recording over Christmas vacation and now I'm recording vocals. I panned my trax right and record in the left channel. When I listen in the headphones while recording, I can only hear my music on the right side. I can't hear the music good enough to lay down a decent vocal track. I use Cakewalk GT Pro, audiophille 24/96 card, a Sennhesier Evolution 835, audio buddy preamp, a hafler TA1100 amp with KRK 6" monitors.
Also, I have a Behringer Compressor( I haven't used it yet) What would be the better option, to record with the compressor, or just add a plug in compression.

Thanx,
Bone

Yo Bones:

Record some tracks with the L/R dials straight up. You will hear them in your cans.

When you mixdown, you can move your tracks L/R to suit your ears.

Green Hornet :D :cool: :D

bone said:
What would be the better option, to record with the compressor, or just add a plug in compression.

It is usually better to record as dry as possible (few effects) then add them later during mixing.

Try our compressor and the software compressor...

Which ever one sounds better to you is probably *gasp* BETTER!

Experiment and have fun

Yo Bones:

I don't know how many tracks you have, but you can put your music on three/four tracks: i.e. drums, bass, keys, solo horn - then, put your vocal on "empty" remaining tracks.

Then, you can pan when mixing down.

Try to avoid bouncing tracks -- if you do bounce, you cannot control the effects/volume/reverb for each track -- what you do to the bounced tracks affects everything -- kind of like a big bowl of mashed potatoes and no fork.

Green Hornet :D :cool: :p

Back