session mic help

philboyd studge

Start time tomorrow is 10:30 pst.

The last few projects haven't gone well with my keyboard guy who's drumming up this business in the first place. They are older jazzers and can't seem to record at different times........not such a good thing for 10 x 13 studio. Anyway, with the singer tomorrow, I'm gonna have him go live with the keys (live to an amp with separate midi patch to recorder) and bass (amp miced).

I'm thinking for vocals, due to bleed, I'm gonna have to use a dynamic (with a pre and compression) and forget condensers. I'll probably try a beta 57.

What say ye?

Hmmm, also I'm going to have to amplify the vocalist so everyone can hear him (no headphones - I think they'll play better), so this adds something new to the chain. It's a little GK pa amp with two 6's and no phantom power.

I'm now leaning towards my never used C1000s cause I can put a battery in it and keep things simple and still use a condenser.

Other choices:
Beta 57
EV BK-1

Condenser mics I have like the C-1's and O12's I don't believe will work in this application due to feedback and lack of isolation.

It's kind of a choice between a musical train wreck or a recording train wreck, and today I'm shooting for the latter.

Why do you need to mic the keys and bass? You could go direct then the only thing you need to worry about is bleed of the instruments into the vocal mic. If you decide you prefer a miced amp on those instruments you could always take the direct signals and run them through amps and rerecord them later when it is more convenient.

I would use a dynamic mic for the vocals since that would also help cut down the bleed.

Thanks Tex, I'm going direct with the bass, as for keys, I'll have to see what he brings, if he uses mine I'll midi it to a synth to record and send another line out to an amp.

As for a mic, I'm leaning towards the C1000 over the Beta 57, I've used it live a few times with fair results and with a reversed foam 'megaphone' around it, things cancel out pretty well.

I'll post what happens later today.

..........not happy recording line in La Quinta

Back