Service Help Needed....

memriloc

Hey everyone.....Does anyone know where I can have my Fostex G-16-S serviced in Sydney Australia besides SYNTEC?....Don't get me wrong, they do a top notch job, but it comes at a top notch price to which I just can't afford at the moment....Any help or leads would be great, CHEERS!

As I live in Canada, I obviously don't have a handy list of alternative service centers to recommend to you. Sorry about that.

What sort of problem are you having with the machine?

Cheers! :)

Hi Gohste.....Firstly, I havn't serviced it for comming up to 2 years (very bad I know)....The main prob is two of the channels have the exact oppisite problem....

One won't work on startup, but slowly slowly starts to kick in when the machine warms up, I'm talkin' after about 1/2 to 1 hour...

Another channel does the opposite, it's fine at the beginning then slowly loses playback (NOT recording)....The signal gets progressivly weaker untill it sound very weak and all topend stuff....

Appart from that it just needs a good service and I think a relap is about in order....

Well, that sounds like a fairly busy set of problems you have there!

Perhaps you should still take it to SYNTEC but, only to get a written estimate which would detail the specific parts to be changed and from there you could take the machine to a cheaper repair facility and have them change the offending parts.

As for getting the heads re-lapped; I have been quoted $300.00 Canadian dollars for that job on my TASCAM MS-16, 16 track, one inch machine. This would include all three heads and a re-calibration of all the channel cards. I have a trusted technician here that I use exclusively for service on the deck because I know his work is competent. Perhaps if you have found a competent one yourself, you shouldn't be too quick about abandoning him to save a few bucks and risk getting a monkey fooling with your recorder?

Cheers! :)

Back