Seriously need help from experienced mixers

CharlesThomas

I finished mixing my band's new CD about a week ago and had a lot of problems. This has, by far, been the most difficult project of my home recording career.

Last night, we went to the mastering facility and had the CD mastered. In some cases, I was happy with how things turned out, but in some cases, I'm extremely unhappy. However, I have to admit that, as the songwriter, a performer, and the guy who engineered and mixed the thing, I've totally lost all perspective.

What I'm looking for are a couple guys like Sonusman or S8-N, who have a lot of experience, to listen to some of the problematic tracks and tell me what they think. I won't mention specific things that bother me until later, but I'm interested to see what people think about the mix and the mastering.

If anyone thinks they have an experienced set of ears and would like to give like four tunes a listen, please email me and I'll send the songs via email as mp3s.

Thank you very much!

Charles Thomas
cthomas@facstaff.wisc.edu

Sure - I'll give you a critique - email me using the mail icon below...

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

If you DARE...

...you can put them on the net somewhere and post the URLS in the mp3 mixing forum here. Its made for just that. If you are afraid of somebody stealing the mp3s make an mp3 of just a part of the song.

While I have qualms about making "public" mixes that I don't like, I agree it's the easiest way.

The songs will be here:

http://www.mp3.com/HotterThanKarl

Probably tonight or Thursday.

There are four of them, and are marked (SV) for "Studio Version": "Self-Destruct For Me", "Dragging Your Anchor", "More Than Meets The Eye", and "Disappoint You"

Thanks for anyone who can give me some feedback on the mixes.

CT

Arrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!

I sure in hell wished you would have though of doing the URL route before sending me 4 mp3's in my email! Dude, I don't have a T1 here!

The over 4 or 5 hours this is going to take to download using a 56k modem means I cannot send or receive any email until it is done!

Next time ask people though before sending 15MB of attachments in email. I now need to go call my ISP and have these deleted off their server so that they don't keep trying to download to my machine. :(

Ed

Although I apologized via email, I'll also apologize here.

I assumed that "I'll email the songs if you send me your email" implied that I was going to email the songs! :)

Won't happen again, honest.

You might try call tech support and tell them to delete the emails without downloading them. I have do do that often here because of spam. Part of being at a University, methinks.

A thousand apologies again!

CT

Eh, not that big of a deal....

The main hassle is that my ISP's tech support is the rather lame http://www.24hoursupport.com . They are lucky if they can enter my email address correctly. Usually there is a long on hold wait, then having to deal with a moron who probably knows less about computers then I do to try to fix things. They usually have to ask a supervisor how to do it!

Anyway. I got two of them. Will send a email (a small one! :) ) with my thoughts.

Sorry, just has to vent a little! But I did learn long ago to ask people first before sending big attechments, and letting them know what size they are, etc....This is also a good idea because of all the viruses that are distributed via email. Just letting people know what to expect was my point.

Peace.

Ed

Back