Seriously Considering this...

I'd say go for it. I don't know too much about acoustics. But I know it's important. Don't forget bass traps though. And mabye before buying, look into building your own.

I'd say go for it. I don't know too much about acoustics. But I know it's important. Don't forget bass traps though. And mabye before buying, look into building your own.

Actually, I was posting this for the seasoned guys, but I appreciate your input anyway :) I have outfitted my room with absorbers and base panels, and I did build them myself. But it just isn't enough to quieten those rouge frequencies. I am getting a nasty ringing in the room, especially when I crank the monitors up.

Fitz, your input here would be great. You helped me tremendously in building my studio- will you help me finish and treat it properly?

If your ceiling is 8' you have about 2482 cubic feet. This is a very nice volume... and better if your ceiling is higher.

The 2" auralex panels are similar in performance to about a 1" OC 703 panel. This is due to the wedge. The auralex offers better off axis absorption whereas on an OC 703 panel the fabric cover usually determines this factor.

My suggestion would be to use a thicker product in a room of your size, however, that depends on the room use. Control room or Tracking room? The acoustics of these room types will differ greatly.

Either type of room requires corner trapping depending upon design and response. Mode calculations should be done in either case and trapping designed applicable to your room.

Cheers,
John

How much treatment do you have in there?
in sq ft please
C>

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, so I'll give you both measurements.

My room is 15' x 13' 2" wide and 8' 3" at the ceilings peak- 7' 3 " at the west side of the room, and 7' 6" at the east side of the room (where the windows are in the booth)

I have a total of (6) 2' x 2' x 4" deep panels on the west wall facing the monitors from the east side of the room. This is all the room treatment I have at this time for the control room.

I went ahead and ordered the two kits because they were on sale at MF for $59 a piece, I got them and some mopads for the monitors. Ran me $150. I don't think I could have treated my room any better for that price. We'll just see at any rate, because Auralex stated it would be a month before I hear anything back from them on what they recommend, and I need it now. Hey, I can play with it before I make it permanent anyway.

If your ceiling is 8' you have about 2482 cubic feet. This is a very nice volume... and better if your ceiling is higher.

The 2" auralex panels are similar in performance to about a 1" OC 703 panel. This is due to the wedge. The auralex offers better off axis absorption whereas on an OC 703 panel the fabric cover usually determines this factor.

My suggestion would be to use a thicker product in a room of your size, however, that depends on the room use. Control room or Tracking room? The acoustics of these room types will differ greatly.

Either type of room requires corner trapping depending upon design and response. Mode calculations should be done in either case and trapping designed applicable to your room.

Cheers,
John

It is a control room. Thank you for your insight- I really appreciate it. I may go with some OC stuff, I'll try the auralex for now, and if it does not cure my problem, I will build panels.

I bow to jhbrandts superior expertise, experience and comments, but imho
you have 24 sq ft of treatment @ 4" thick in that room and that is nowhere near enough to rid rid of reverb, let alone bass trapping.
I'm not surprised that there is still a lot of verb in there.

My experience thus far -
Room 1 - 10.5' X 11.0' X 6.75' - (779 Cu Ft) / 146 sq ft treatment @ 4" - it was pretty damn dead.

Room 2 - 14' X 14' X 8' - (1568 Cu Ft) / 261.5 sq ft treatment @ 4" - seems pretty dead but have not had time to really listen yet.

I was able to get Roxsul 4" thickness from local place for $1.20 a square foot.
Admittedly it doesn't look *cool unless you use some elbow grease and spend additional money getting it into panels, but it's available every day at this price, and can be shaped into whatever form factor you need.

Seems like you still have a ways to go, but are starting to make a dent.
Cheers
C>

* - some people think the foam looks cool

You'd still be better off with 2" panels, but if it's ONLY to knock down the ringing, then it'll be fine. Just apply it selectively. Use something soft, like pillows or something, to narrow down where you need the foam, then only use what you need.

Frank

Back