Serious Recording

ApeDosMeow

Whats the best way to position guitar mics? I know its preference, I just want opinions! What creative Panning have you guys found for recordings? specifically rock music

anyone mess with recordings that took a lot of overdubs because of many delay and other fx pedals?

Let me know!

Guitars: Is it best to record with a 30 watt Rocker Orange amp

or an 100 watt Rockerverb Orange amp.

these are my choices

=D lets get some input!

Rule one... if amp is solid state put a Tube Preamp just before the amp input!

I like smaller amps (I usually use a Vintage Peavey tube 60 watt I like for recording) but never very loud and keep a mic pointing toward the speaker and placed about 4 feet away.

But by using an Art Studio MP tube preamp - I am bi-passing the real amp more and more and just pluging into a vitantage Mackie mixer.

Works for me?

Also a slight touch of a "VINTAGE" MXR Distortion+ (1970's model - not a new one) ads just the right amount of sugar to any guitar!

Like you said though... all depends on taste, and also what ya need to achieve the mood of a song. I use at least 15 different guitars recording on a regular basis just to get different sounds... and that "right sound" for the song.

After all - smoke on the water was recorded in a hotel room, bathroom, and hallway... while some guitars on Fleetwood Mac Rumors in the studios Mens Room!

Shure SM 57 dead center of the driver for hard rock sound especially if you are wanting loud, hot distortion.
for a softer overdriven sound angle the mic and at place at the the top of the driver.
For a clean sound or an acoustic guitar: angle the mic and place at the bottom of the speaker.
regardless of how the mic is placed in front of the speaker it is never more than 10 inches away from the face of the speaker, because the farther away the mic is away from the speaker the more gain will have to be used in order to pickup the signal in the main mix.
Thats how I do it anyway.
I would suggest experimenting around with several different mic placements until you get the desired effect. just make sure the gain is at a good level in the main mix is the most inportant thing to remember.

EDIT: as far as amps are concerned for studio use you are not going to need a high output amp for studio use. The amp that I use in the studio is a Roland Cube 15 or the new 5 watt Blackheart tube amp with no preamps or any otheer bells and whistles just micked with the SM 57 I get excellent results from both amps however I tend to use the Roland for clean signals and the Blackheart for overdrive or distortion.

my bass head is a Ashdown Superfly DI to the mixing console.

Drums micked directly to the console. Shure Kick Mic, SM 57 for snare and 2 omnidirectional condenser mics for L and R overheads.

vocals Micked directly to the console with no Peramp, I use 48V phantom power to a MX cartioid condenser mic.

all the effects are edited in with VST,any panning is added in during the editing process.

Last edited:
I think someone already shared this little gem with you in another thread where you were asking about guitars etc:

http://www.badmuckingfastard.com/sound/slipperman.html#contents

Seriously, read that.

I've already raved about that thread elsewhere, but, well... :D

I was kind of surprised the way Slipperman recommends positioning a SM57 (pointing it straight on the center of the cone, then pulling it straight back 2-3" and then angling it slightly to the side so it's parallel with the cone of the speaker), but I guess it's actually not too different from what I do. I'm not really a huge fan of true close-micing - take this with a grain of salt as I'm a guy who plays a 7-string guitar into a Mesa Rect-o-verb, so I'm sure my rig puts out more low end than the norm, but for me true right-against-the-grill close micing is just too bassy and tubby in the low end. What I usually do is position the mic (an SM57 or i5, depending on mood or which one's closer, lol) perpendicular to the cab, but about halfway between the dust cap and the edge of the cone of the speaker, and just at the limit of proximity effect distance - say 1.5"-2". This, double-tracked and panned hard left-right, gives a pretty balanced guitar sound and coupled with a good bass tone will give you workable results.

Back