Sequencing software choice

ehmjay

I want to purchase a sequecing software package under $100.
The purpose is to record, edit with notation, and mix tracks from my Kurzweil.
The music genre is new age.

I have tried Powertracks Pro and liked it BUT
there are other packages such as Music Studio 7, Orion Basic, Cakewalk Plasma, Cubasis vst 3.0, eJay Studio, FruityLoops 3.5 or Home Studio 2002. Which is recommended?

I also have Sound Forge 6.0. How best is this software used in the home studio setup?

Thank you.

i use

powertracks and magix audio studio 7. the best thing to do is try all the demoes and see what your most comfortable with.
but quite frankly with my combination i can write any song i could ever wish to do. sound forge 6 is a v good editor. but if you have powertracks and audio studio i dont see why you would need to use it unless you have noisy tracks or soundcard. in which case the noise reduction algorithm is very effective.
frankly i just received a flyer on powertracks , on special at 29 bucks. if i was a rank newbie i would get it before buying anything else then focus on the more important stuff like writing and producing and really learning over a period of years how to be a very good audio engineer. I'm still trying to be one after 25 yrs ! imho newbies get too focused on "flying with the big boys"
so they often buy all sorts of gear they dont need. big boys got to be big shot engineers and songwriters not because of the gear but because they knew the basic rule....engineer a good recording.

satch

glad you chose multitrack studio. the effort needs to be supported by the recording community.
its a very fine effort imho. with all the fx included its a deal imho.

Thanks

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll stay with my instincts and keep it simple. what is imho?

manning1,

I have friends that use ProTools, Sonar, Nuendo, etc., and to me the biggest difference between the sonic qualities of their and my recordings is experience - but I'm closing the gap. I haven't found anything I can't do in MultitrackStudio - it's as easy or involved as you want to make it.

You're right though - find a program YOU LIKE and feel comfortable with and concentrate on the MUSIC. Garbage In = Garbage Out, no matter what program you use.

ehmjay,

imho = In My Humble Opinion

satch

re : experience. thats exactly the point i was trying to make
in the other thread about the realities of the recording industry.
imho you made a vey wise choice. as a matter of professional interest , do you find MT is easy on the processor , ie: do you get as many tracks or even more than other packages ?
out of interest what sound card do you use with MT ?

manning1,

Yes, MTS is easy on my processor - P4 2.4. When I first installed MTS, I loaded 24 wav files - each on a separate track - just to see what it would do. If I remember correctly, my CPU usage went to about 30-40%. (I can recheck and let you know if you want) I wasn't using any effects or plugins, iirc though. So far, I haven't used over 24 tracks to record any of my music, but I've found that some plugins can really zap the processor - have read that a lot are poorly written. The thing I REALLY like about MTS is the stability. I wrote the author of MTS - who is a very nice guy BTW - asking about a possible feature and in his reply he stressed that stability is very important to him, over features. I think he has done a GREAT job on both.

I'm using an Audiophile 2496 and am very happy with it.

Also, your other thread about the realities of the recording industry made me pause and rethink - what am I doing this for? I got into home recording just for the fun of it - I had to turn my love of woodworking into a business and a lot of the enjoyment went out the door. But I've recently been offered some opportunites to expand(read, maybe sell) my music and am at a crossroads so to speak.

If it hasn't been posted before, maybe a good thread would be "What do you want/expect out of your music and home recording?" It's real easy to get carried away - as you pointed out. Since I'm an older guy - 53 - I try to stay grounded by remembering the great tunes of the 60's that were done on 4 -track machines! Of course it would be nice to have some of that old Pro tube gear. : )

satch

thanks for the data on MT. i'm hearing that from a lot of people.
the author did a great job on stability. i like the simple way MT displays the tracks. very intuitive imho. i dont know if you want to get your music OUT THERE. but there are lots of sites to upload to and get feedback. its the feedback that helps me as a songwriter.
very usefull. and when you get feedback from someone half way round the globe that they liked this or that song , it tends to
nudge one to try even harder through all the hard word work
and dedication.

Back