sequencing drums... what software?

keerus

Hey. How do you guys go about sequencing drums for demoing songs? I don't have a drumset handy, and it is a pain to mic it up when I do have one, so I write all my drums in Sonar and then record tracks over the drums. However, the way I'm doing it is kinda ghetto.

I have a separate track for each drum/cymbal, and a copy of Drumagog running on each track loaded with a different sample. I then use a wav file (which is just 0dB cycle of a 60Hz sine wave) and insert instances of that in Sonar where I want the drum to be triggered. The problem is that it uses a ton of my processing power, and my files take forever to load since it has to create a million instances of my trigger wav.

I like this method because it allows me perfect control over each drum. I can pan each drum how I like, apply certain effects, assign certain tracks to a bus, etc. In that way it is very convenient. But it uses an absurd amount of my CPU, and I know that it's kinda ghetto.

Can someone recommend to me a way to sequence drums that gives me the ability to control each drum individually but is not as ghetto as my method? I would be forever grateful. Thanks!

Justin

I use Reason for Drums and Synths. It's got a pretty decent drum machine (that you can use your own samples with) and a bunch of synth. It also has a built in mixer so you can pan the drums anyway you like. Finally I patch a stereo mix via ReWire into Sonar and that is it. You can download a demo at: http://www.propellerheads.se

Back