Sequencing Drums in Pro Tools MIDI Editor

blndsde91

I have a keyboard though my finger tapping timing is not all that coordinated for playing Metal Drums on a Keyboard. I'm currently without my physical DrumKit and will be for the better part of a year. I still have to work though. I bought Ezdrummer and a Couple Expansion packs. Here's the tricky part. How Do I physically, Manually, write drum tracks in pro tools MIDI editor? or is there somewhere else I need to do this? I kind of understand somewhat I can click on certain boxes in the editor corresponding to which key on the keyboard represents, but separating each individual drum as well as writing them has pretty much eluded me. Especially, when you start to incorporate 1/8, 1/16 notes, and so on and so on. Basically I wanna be able to write different speed double bass parts and still have the other drums follow the overall time signature if that kind of draws somewhat of a clearer picture. Thanks for any advice. I appreciate it.

Yep, all you need for drum programming in Pro Tools is the MIDI editor! You can reach it by going through the Windows menu at the top of the screen or by the key-command CNTRL+= (at least on a Mac). From there, you can use the pencil tool to fill in the grids you want.

I don't have any Toontrack products such as EZdrummer, but usually C0 or C1 represents where the "kick" is situated on the MIDI grid. So that might be where the "1" is on the black and white keys situated on the left side of the MIDI editor. The keys above that will likely be snare articulations, followed by hi hat articulations, toms, cymbals, etc.

Learning drum programming has a gradual learning curve, but like anything, you'll get better and better through repetition. One technique for learning drum programming might be to set up the click on pro tools, do some simple finger drumming for a couple bars, and then go back to the MIDI editor to view what that pattern looks like and play around with it by manually moving notes and changing velocities.

Back