separate partition vs separate hard drive?

LAWL_im_so_EMO

Hello
Im getting into the whole pro tools thing, and it seems that (for all DAWs actually) you want a separate hard drive dedicated only to project files.

What if i just made a separate partition?
i know its not the same, but what sacrifices will i be making?

Thanks

Partitioning a drive will not get you anywhere. You are still reading and writing from a single read/write head. Think of it like a record platter. One needle that has to be picked up and place at the point you want to listen then for the next track it needs to be picked up again and placed at the new location. Obviously you can't read nor write from 2 locations at the same time.

Partitioning a drive potentially worsens the effect of recording to the system drive.

Just get a second drive ;) Firewire, or SATA (internal) NOT USB!

Partitioning a drive potentially worsens the effect of recording to the system drive.

Just get a second drive ;) Firewire, or SATA (internal) NOT USB!

i actually recently aqcuired a regular internal hard drive but the ports for it are different from my computer's slave ports.

Example: You're sitting at your desk working through your papers and have to get a folder out of a filing cabinet in the next room (partition). You have to stop what youre doing, get up and go into the next room, shuffle through the draw to find the right folder and come back again.

That mechanical motion is GLACIAL in computer terms.

You goal in recording is smooth, uninterrupted transfer of data.

Ideally, you want an OS drive, a sample library drive and a project drive
so the program can grab whatever it needs or do housekeeping chores
WITHOUT stopping whatever else is going on. Smooth, uninterrupted
transfer of data....

(and that's for ANY daw!)

ok,
I fully understand the best thing is to just get a separate hard drive, which i am planning on doing.

BUt until then, what would be the better option:
Keeping project files on a separate partition
Keeping project files on a USB hard drive

Currently those are my only two options.

Separate hard drive - usb2 is not a problem.
You'll still have a separate stream of data not interrupted by OS housekeeping and other program interruptions.

Separate hard drive - usb2 is not a problem.
You'll still have a separate stream of data not interrupted by OS housekeeping and other program interruptions.

Sorry, I have to completely disagree.

USB is awful for connecting hard drives when used with any DAW. Quite simply awful.

There will be some USB drives (and some other USB devices) when simply connected to your computer will cause Pro Tools to run poorly or sometimes fail to launch completely.

If you have absolutely no choice until you buy a firewire drive, I'd use the system drive, but don't expect to be able to run large sessions.

Back